1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

GY6 engine codes...answered

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GY6 engine codes...answered

You can find your engine code below the CVT cover, beside the oil drain plug.

We'll take a look at the most common engine code: 157QMJ.
The first thing to note is that the actual code always starts with the first number, and continues for a total of 6 digits. Anything extra is a manufacturer-specific information that won't be covered here at this time.

Lets disect the code starting with the first digit:
(Digit #1) Corrasponds to the number of cylinders. All GY6 engines are single cylinder, so this number will always be 1.

(Digit #2 and #3) This is the bore size in metric millimeters, in the case of the 157QMJ, our bore is 57mm. Note that 57.4mm bore engines fall under the "57" designation.

(Digit #4) relates to the style of engine. All GY6 engines are designated "Q".

(Digit #5 and #6) The actual size of the engine. The second letter ascends consecutively for each 10cc. MB = 50cc, MC = 60cc, MD for a 70, MH = 110cc, MI = 125cc, MJ = 150cc

That is pretty much it for the standard codes stamped on most GY6 and other Chinese engines. We will add more information about manufacturer-specific codes as we find it out.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Great info.

I put a sticky on this so it will be handy information.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Range Rover

Here is some background unfo from Wikipedia.....

The Honda GY6 Engine is a small four-stroke internal combustion engine developed by the Honda Motor Company. The GY6 is commonly used to power various kinds of small vehicles, including ATVs and scooters.

The Honda Motor company has been said[who?] to have perfected the scooter engine design in the 1960s. Building upon that technology a newer motor, the Honda gy6 engine, was produced in the 1980s. This is a 4 stroke single cylinder, air or oil cooled design that comes standard with two overhead valves. Stock horsepower ratings can be found quoted in the range of 7.8 hp (5.8 kW) to 12.4 hp (9.2 kW). The engine is capable of producing 12,000 rpm and power upwards of 14 horsepower (10 kW) with modifications according to end users[who?]. The GY6 engine has a built in swing arm with automatic CVT transmission that is belt driven. This engine was originally manufactured in 50 cc (3.1 cu in)139QMB, 125 cc (7.6 cu in)152QMI, and 150 cc (9.2 cu in)157QMJ engine sizes. Honda no longer uses this design on their scooters, but Chinese, Korean, and Taiwanese copies of this engine are readily available. Current brands of import scooter lines that use the Honda GY6 cloned engine technology include: Saga Canada, e-GO Motors - TriPOD (tilting three wheeler), Xingyue, Flyscooters, Kymco, Lance, PGO (imported by Genuine Scooter Company in the USA), Ricardo Motors, Roketa, Strada, SUNL, Tank, Vento, Yamati, among others.

With the wide availability and cheap cost of this engine, Asian ATV manufacturers have started to use this powerplant in their youth line of ATVs (quads) and buggies (off road go karts and trail buggies) 150 cc youth quads that contain the GY6 powerplant are found being imported under many brands including Ricardo Motors, Yamoto, Kazuma, and Redcat. Off road buggies and full suspension go karts that include this style of engine include Carter Brothers Talon Line, Carter Brothers XTV, TJ Powersports Twister Hammerhead, Dazon Raider, Kasea Adventure Buggy, Blade Powersports 150 cc, Tomberlin Punisher & Crossfire, Baja Motorsports Dune 150, American Sport Works Carbide and Helix, Yerf-Dog Spiderbox GX150.

With the wide availability of this engine in both older Honda products and newer Asian imports there is a vast amount of information, modifications, and performance parts available to the end user.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

lol reminds me when i was learning how to read vins hahaha so long ago!

Old 12-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

good thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

So what would the p mean in my GY6 number? (1p57qmj)
Since this makes it 7 digits.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Trailblazer

Good question, mine is the same,what does the "P" stand for ? (1P57QMJ)

Old 05-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer
Old 05-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default help what engine is this 1p47fmf

I need a starter for my kids quad but i am not sure what engine it is all i know is is 90cc.can any one help thanks

Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Mr.Firemouth
You can find your engine code below the CVT cover, beside the oil drain plug.

We'll take a look at the most common engine code: 157QMJ.
The first thing to note is that the actual code always starts with the first number, and continues for a total of 6 digits. Anything extra is a manufacturer-specific information that won't be covered here at this time.

Lets disect the code starting with the first digit:
(Digit #1) Corrasponds to the number of cylinders. All GY6 engines are single cylinder, so this number will always be 1.

(Digit #2 and #3) This is the bore size in metric millimeters, in the case of the 157QMJ, our bore is 57mm. Note that 57.4mm bore engines fall under the "57" designation.

(Digit #4) relates to the style of engine. All GY6 engines are designated "Q".

(Digit #5 and #6) The actual size of the engine. The second letter ascends consecutively for each 10cc. MB = 50cc, MC = 60cc, MD for a 70, MH = 110cc, MI = 125cc, MJ = 150cc

That is pretty much it for the standard codes stamped on most GY6 and other Chinese engines. We will add more information about manufacturer-specific codes as we find it out.
How about this one Sjl1p47fmf

Quick Reply: GY6 engine codes...answered