1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

I need help with wiring on my 2008 Hi-bird 250 atv

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with wiring on my 2008 Hi-bird 250 atv

hello i was hoping someone could help me. The ignition key switch in my son's hi-bird would not work so a friend of mine tried to by pass it. Now the hot wire coming off the coil is not connected to anything and we cant figure out what it gets connected to. I can give you a little info.. to even get the atv to try to start we have a red and a solid black wire together and a green and a black /white wire together. the wire coming from the coil is black and yellow it was tied into a female/or male plug that has the black/yellow blue/white and two solid green wires. but we dont have another plug anywhere that has four wires to plug that into. I hope this it not confusing Please help

Last edited by marciwalker; 08-31-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

also i have looked at all the wiring diagrams on here and i did see a black/yellow wire is to go to the CDI but i dont see a b/y wire coming out of the CDI

Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by marciwalker
... the wire coming from the coil is black and yellow it was tied into a female/or male plug that has the black/yellow blue/white and two solid green wires. but we dont have another plug anywhere that has four wires to plug that into. I hope this it not confusing Please help
I'm going to send you a private message in a while (after this post).

The blk/yel and blu/wht sounds like the coil and the stator timing trigger wires. Green is ground. This sounds like a CDI connector. Are you missing a CDI? The coil and timing trigger wire only come together at the CDI. But you need power too. 12 volts or AC high voltage from stator depending on your quad and CDI.

You say in a later post that there is no blk/yel coming ouot of the CDI. Hmmm. I don't have a hi bird wiring diagram, but I'm wondering if you are looking at something other than the CDI. Let me attach three common CDI's below and see if you can see any of those on your quad:

Name:  4pinCDI.jpg
Views: 2883
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  CDI_Pinout.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  50cc-cdi.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  19.2 KB

Can you post pics of your mystery connector?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

my CDI box looks exactly like the picture in the thread named performaces of CDI on chinese 250cc atv on page two.... it is still on the atv its black and has what looks like fan blades on the front of it and there is 4 or five wires going into it

Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

plus this plug is in the front of the atv and the CDI is back by the rear tire

Old 09-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Marci,

The pic's you posted on facebook is of a voltage regulator and not a CDI. This device takes AC voltage from a low voltage winding on the stator and makes DC voltage at the right level to keep the battery charged. It has nothing to do with spark.

Earlier you mentioned a connector that is black/red, blue/white, and two greens. I don't see that in your facebook pictures. Now I'm confused. The black/red and blue/white are common colors for CDI wires. The wire colors in you picture don't match.

In a few minutes I'll send you a PM...

Lynn

Old 09-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

now i am very confused lol i will take more pictures today and post them on facebook i thought for sure that was the CDI box. right behind the regulator is a silver cylinder it kinda looks alot like the coil it has a big right wire on it that has a rubber cover with a postive sign on it

Old 09-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default your quad problem

Originally Posted by marciwalker
now i am very confused lol i will take more pictures today and post them on facebook i thought for sure that was the CDI box. right behind the regulator is a silver cylinder it kinda looks alot like the coil it has a big right wire on it that has a rubber cover with a postive sign on it
like this? if so, this is part of your ignition coil.

Quick Reply: I need help with wiring on my 2008 Hi-bird 250 atv