1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

I need help with wiring on my 2008 Hi-bird 250 atv

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now i am screwed i put that regulator back on and now i have no power. the fan wont even kick on i thought maybe the plugs went bad so i cut off the plugs and tried wire to wire and still nothing so i touched the red wire (coming from the ignition) to the positive wire coming off the cylinder right beside the regulator and the fan kicked on but when i pushed the start button it would not try to kick over. could my regulator have gone bad by just taking it off the atv? please help im getting very fustrated thanks

Old 09-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 09-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by marciwalker
now i am very confused lol i will take more pictures today and post them on facebook i thought for sure that was the CDI box. right behind the regulator is a silver cylinder it kinda looks alot like the coil it has a big red wire on it that has a rubber cover with a postive sign on it
??

Old 09-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That looks like the starter solenoid. This is easy to verify: Follow the big fat wires off the screw terminals. If one goes off to the battery positive terminal, and the other goes off to to the starter motor then that would prove it is the starter solenoid.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Electrical Expert

now i am screwed i put that regulator back on and now i have no power. the fan wont even kick on i thought maybe the plugs went bad so i cut off the plugs and tried wire to wire and still nothing so i touched the red wire (coming from the ignition) to the positive wire coming off the cylinder right beside the regulator and the fan kicked on but when i pushed the start button it would not try to kick over. could my regulator have gone bad by just taking it off the atv? please help im getting very fustrated thanks
Marci,

In a private message I pointed out in the strongest possible terms (twice) that your ignition is wired wrong based on what you told me. This has been ignored totally, and instead you are shorting this to that just to see what happens. Well, what might happen is that you wreck a bunch of stuff, and maybe start a fire. Your problems need to be solved by using reason, and careful measurements using a meter. You are not going to solve this problem by random tinkering.

The first step is to identify the parts on your quad. I posted three pictures of common chinese CDIs. Have you looked carefully to see if any of these are present on your quad?

What is the history of this quad? Have you ever seen it run? Did it just die one day, or is this some super sweet deal that you recently picked up from a friend of a friend?

Again, lets identify some basic parts: The CDI, the starter solenoid, and the ignition coil. Buy yourself (or borrow) a meter. Then (once we find all the parts) we will get the starter to turn by shorting the solenoid. Then we check for spark, etc.

And of course you won't get spark until you address the ignition wiring problem outlined in my PM's to you.

Lynn

Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Electrical Expert

I looked for a hi bird 250cc wiring diagram but couldn't come up with one. I have some generic 250 wiring diagrams which are probably similar.

CDIs have high voltage on them and so are usually mounted up high in a protected area like under the gas tank. There are some unusual quads that have the CDI built into the ignition coil, but these are rare, and I'm pretty sure does not apply to hi birds. If you have one of these CDI/ignition coil combos then you will have more than two wires going to it. And yes, the ignition coil is the thing that the spark plug wire goes to.

You had a connector with black/yel, blu/white, and two green wires which came from the ignition coil. Can you post a picture of that connector? Black yellow is the generic color for the ignition coil primary. Blue white is the generic color for the timing trigger to the CDI from the stator. Green is ground. Look at my second CDI picture in the public thread (the one with two connectors). The four pin connector usually has the exact four wires decribed above plugged into that slot. Does it look like your mystery connector will fit into the 2'cnd CDI four pin connector? What I'm wondering is whether the CDI has fallen off. Also look for a two pin connector hanging free that may fit into the two pin CDI connector. BTW, the 4 pin / 2 pin CDI is the most common one installed on 250cc machines.

As far as power goes, get a meter and measure the battery voltage. Leave your negative (black) meter lead on the battery negative post and follow the power with the red meter lead and find out where it stops. From the battery + it goes through a fuse, through the ignition switch (becomes a black wire at this point), and goes all over the place. If you don't have power anywhere then it strongly suggest the problem is at th ignition switch or before. Definately check the fuse.

After you find the starter solenoid (following the fat heavy wires from the battery through the solenoid and on to the starter motor), take a screwdriver and short the two big screw lugs on the solenoid together. Don't mind a few sparks - starters draw a lot of current. Does the starter motor turn? BTW, set the brakes and make sure you are in neutral when doing this just in case the quad starts up.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Were can I get a carb for a 08 hibird 250