1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Looking for compression

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for compression

Any one know what the compression suppose to be on the merkat 90 got a good spark now just need to check compression.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

There is no need to gauge the compression. Pull the plug and see how much pressure pops your finger when held over the hole while cranking. If it has good pressure it will be fine.

If you have good spark and your not running then you have a fuel problem. Tell me more of what you are experiencing so I can help you trouble shoot.

If it runs and smokes bad, change oil and see if it still smokes. May need rings.
If it runs but has weak power, check the valve clearances, the chain tightness(too tight robs lots of power) and the carb adjustments.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default I think it needs rings

I can hold my finger over the hole wile cranking it does have some compression but Im not sure how much. its getting spark and I pored gas right in the cylinder.and will not run.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

charged the battery and che fired right up put it back together and it s running fine. The son isn't crying any more.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Range Rover

While it is running, adjust the screw on the carb with the spring on it. Turn it to the right slowly while idling. The idle should increase. Tune it to a smooth, faster idle but not a racing/higher revving idle. Understand?

Then ride it for a while and check the plug. If the plug is real dry and whitish/grey it is too lean. If the plug is real black/wet it is too rich. You want the plug to be somewhere in the middle. You can adjust this with the other screw near the one with the spring. Turn 1/4 turn and check the plug again. To the right should richen the mixture but you will have to go through the steps of using the color of the plug to know. Once it is tuned properly, it will start and run much faster/better.