1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

chinese 110cc atv

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chinese 110cc atv

it ran just fine then it just wont turn over very fast like the battery is dead but i have hooked up jumper cables and no difference wont turn over fast enough to start took starter of thought it was bad hooked it up to charger and it turned please help

Old 10-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do you have a multimeter to check voltage across the terminals? are your terminal connections tight? how old is the battery? you know you may have to wiggle the jumper cables to get a dang good connection in order to jump the quad.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

no i do not have a multimeter but i took all the wires off and redone all them and still nothing the battery is about 6 months old and i even put the battery charger on 64 amp fast charge.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

get a multimeter or have the battery load checked. if money is short, Harbor Freight has some that'll do for $3.00. sounds like the battery is low or has a dry cell. what's the liquid levels in the cells? can you see them? you may have to top it of with H2SO4 or with DeMin water....we need to see what the battery is doing/not doing.......

Old 10-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

the battery is full of acid and it even does this without a battery and hooked up to a car and charger could it be the starter maybe it is partialy burnt up?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

64 amps will KILL that battery. If it didn't you are lucky. 1, or at most, 2 amps to charge that battery. It is a small battery.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

i did the 64 without the battery hooked up.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You need a meter. Really! They're cheap, and they are a powerful tool. Why do things the hard way?

Measure the DC voltage right on the starter motor input terminal to the starter motor case. Do this while attempting to start the quad with a charged battery, or else jumped to a good car battery. What do you measure?

This measures whether the voltage is getting to the starter at all. Once we know that then we will know whether to follow it back to the battery to find the bad connection, or look deeper into the starter motor.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

i finally bought a multimeter and i put it on the starter and the casing and it reads right at 150 with it on dcv setting on 10 and reading the black numbers on top

Old 11-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by keltikayla
i finally bought a multimeter and i put it on the starter and the casing and it reads right at 150 with it on dcv setting on 10 and reading the black numbers on top
I'm having a little trouble understanding the values you wrote. Let's make sure your meter is set up properly first:

Set the meter to DC volts, and set the scale to 20 volts full scale (or the closest scale you can that is above 15 volts). Measure your battery voltage on your car or truck battery with the meter leads. Red goes on the plus terminal and black goes on the minus terminal. You should read 12.6 volts to 12.8 volts with the engine off. Play around with setting your meter up until you are able to get this reading. Then go back and measure the starter motor voltage again while trying to crank the starter motor.

What we are trying to do is determine whether the quad battery and starter motor wiring path is sufficient to deliver 12 volts to the starter motor while drawing *lots* of current (about 50 amps).

If you have 12 volts on the starter motor (measured from the starter input terminal to the starter motor case) and the starter isn't turning at normal speed then we need to look at why the starter isn't turning (bad starter, frozen engine, etc).

If the voltage at the starter is really low then next measure the voltage right at the battery terminals (while attempting to crank the starter). If the voltage here is low your battery is bad or discharged. If it is able to maintain 12 volts under the starter load then we need to start looking at where we are losing voltage on the way to the starter motor (or on the the ground return path back).

I hope that you are seeing the overall process here:

1) Verify that the test setup is valid
2) Measure in the middle and start using that data to divide and conquer, one step at a time.

Quick Reply: chinese 110cc atv