1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Merry Christmas from China:

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merry Christmas from China:

OK, so I bought a Tao Tao 110cc ATV for my sons for Christmas and am having some issues right off the bat! It's a good thing I came across this blog! From what I read, I need to change the oil, the spark plug, and possibly the battery just to get started. I have a few quick questions:

1. Where is the drain plug for the oil?
2. What type of spark plug is best?
3. What type of battery is best?
4. Is it necessary to install an inline fuel filter?
5. Where can I find the proper manual (as compared to the garbage that came with it)?
6. What the heck is the hose running down from the bottom of the carburetor for and what is the white "plug" looking thing on the end? I tried to remove it but it then leaked gas all over my garage!

I was able to get it started after a long, long time and it actually ran pretty good. I think that it might have been too cold and the problem is that the battery kept dying on me. It is the one that came with it and I am hoping that a new one might do the trick....or is that more of a spark plug issue?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:57 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't own a 110cc machine, so I'm not the best one to answer the mechanical issues.

1) There are two bolts on the bottom of the engine that look like drain plugs. Only one of them is correct. I think it is the big one. If you pull out the wrong one a spring and shaft comes out (valve timing chain tensioner). Pay attention to how it came out then just put it back in. Then pull out the other one.

3) Any 12 volt battery that will mechanically will fit is fine. But is your new battery dead? Is your charging system working? Have a meter?

4) Yes. Otherwise you will be fighting carburetor issues a lot. Also you need a fuel shutoff (petcock) valve. Be religious about shutting this off if you park your quad inside the garage. A common failure is a leaking needle valve which will dump the entire gas tank onto the garage floor in the middle of the night if the fuel isn't shut off.

5) I have a couple sort of good 110cc manuals. Send me your email address by private message.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

The battery isn't dead, it just takes forever to start and then it dies from continually tryting and has to be charged again. Maybe it's just been too cold here in PA and changing the spark plug and oil will help! I am going to take everyone's advice and install a petcock valve and inline fuel filter too. Where is the best place to buy these parts? Is there a good website or do you think I can find them at a local WalMart or PepBoys? BTW, my email is bmeara@gmail.com for the manuals. Thanks again Lynn, I really appreciate your help.

Brian

Old 12-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Electrical Expert

I had to change my fuel filter when it started leaking. I had to change my neighbors petcock when it failed. I bought both from eBay. The fuel filter was fine, the petcock valve drop shipped direct from China - it took five weeks to clear customs. Beware if you order stuff directly shipped from China if you're in a hurry.

The oil has nothing to do with starting up. The spark plug might. Do you have a manual choke, or a automatic choke (also called a bystarter valve)?

Once started, does the quad run fine after starting up (until it cools back down)? You may need to check the valve clearance.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Lynn. I actually found a website that sells everything needed and recommended on this forum: TaoTaoATVPartsWholesale - TAO TAO PARTS - TAO TAO ATA110 ATV Parts Have you heard of them?

Anyway, I'm not sure what kind of choke it has. It is simply a lever running into the carb. I leave it up to start it and frankly don't touch it after that and it runs fine. Am I leaving it on and is that bad? Once it gets going it's fine.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Electrical Expert

I haven't done business with the web site you posted. That's not to say they aren't good. You may want to google their business name and see if anyone is complaining.

A choke with a lever is a manual choke. You should not have to leave it engaged to run the quad after warm up.