1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

250cc falcon has no spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250cc falcon has no spark

250cc falcon has no spark just put new engine in had no spark so i changed the cdi the start relay the coil and nothing i can not figure it out i traced wires found nothing need help can not figure out what would make it not have spark after changing everything

Old 01-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default food for thought

Originally Posted by rider30
250cc falcon has no spark just put new engine in had no spark so i changed the cdi the start relay the coil and nothing i can not figure it out i traced wires found nothing need help can not figure out what would make it not have spark after changing everything
food for thought....have you checked your kill switches? not sure about your specific model, but if the brake light needs to be involved in starting, does it light up to complete a safety circuit for safe starting? just like the little ones? unsure if your model has that or not........hmmmm. is your regular kill switch on the handle bars giving/receiving inaccurate ohm/amp readings? have you pulled ohms/amp readings coming out of the CDI while cranking? if so, what are those readings? spark plug not cracked and in good condition? let us know.......

Old 01-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I would definately check the kill switches as Jaster94 said. Kill switch problems are the number one cause of no spark.

But I also had another thought: Did you have spark before, and now with the new engine you don't? Are you using the same wiring harness? How many wires came out of the stator on the old engine? How many wires come out of the stator on the new engine? Are you miising a black/red wire on the new engine?

A lot of new 250cc engines are configured for DC powered CDI's. Thus the moderately high voltage AC power winding on the stator for the powering the AC powered CDI is missing. Thus power for your CDI will be missing, and you will get no spark.

This is only one of many possibilities for no spark. But it is a likely one to consider if you are indeed missing the black/red wire out of the new stator. There are solutions for this, and we can go down that route if it seems warranted.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to everyone

thank you guys for the help i checked the kill switch and was good then pulled out the entire wire harness and checked resistance on every wire they were all good. then i read that you said check the windings i was missing a wire on it and i thought about changing it but did not do so untill you said that that could be a cause and by darn it was the problem i changed it to the old motors winding and guess what spark and it started right up thanks again now i do have a question because i live in north dakota now so it is really cold here but i am having a problem with the bike wanting to stay in chocke even after it is warm i have to ove up the plastic peice by hand to stop the chocke but then it just goes back down eventually. i am thinking that the -20 degree weather is not helping this matter so just thought i would ask thanks everyone