1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

5 pin CDI kill switch information needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 pin CDI kill switch information needed

All,

What I'm wanting to know is how the "Kill Switch" pin works on the CDI below.

Specifically, I'm looking to understand the states this SHOULD be in when the Kill Switch is set to "run" vs what the state should be when the Kill Switch is set to "not run" or "kill" position?

As you probably can figure out, I have a situation where the Kill Switch isn't killing the ATV, trying to understand how its suppose to work before I dive too deep.

Thanks in advance,

LV

Name:  50cc-cdi.jpg
Views: 11111
Size:  19.2 KB

Old 01-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The kill switch pin is connected to ground to kill spark. It is left open (hanging free) to enable spark.

There are often many kill switches in a quad:

1) One half of the two pole ignition switch: When you turn the ignition switch off the kill switch wire (which runs over to the CDI) is connected to ground. This kills the engine.

2) The handlebar kill switch: When activated this switch also shorts the kill switch pin at the CDI to ground.

3) The Tether Pull Cord switch: This switch has a rubber dummy plug that pushes on a switch plunger and forces this kill switch open. If the dummy rubber plug is yanked off, the plunger springs back out and closes the kill switch, stopping the engine.

4) Remote Control Module: If you quad has this option then it too can kill the engine by ground the kill switch wire.

All of these are wired in parallel, such that any switch can kill the engine. Thus most people have problems with "spark is killed all the time" rather than "I can't kill the spark" because *all* of the switches have to be in run mode to get spark.

So try groundng your kill switch pin at the CDI to see if you can indeed kill spark right at the CDI. But beware: This pin has high voltage on it when it is not grounded and the engine is turning (either cranking or running). Do not try to hook up a ground connection to the kill switch pin with your fingers. Use insulated pliers.

There are other ways to kill spark besides grounding the kill switch pin. On 5 pin CDIs using other methods are rare but it is possible. These are:

1) Removing the trigger signal.
2) Shorting the trigger signal to ground
3) Removing the ground to the CDI
4) Shorting out the AC ignition power pin to ground.