1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

CDI question...help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Spark is generated by more than just the CDI. The timing signal that tells the CDI when to fire come from the stator. Often the power that runs the CDI also comes from the stator, and is moderately high voltage AC. The kill switch circuitry needs to be working right, and the ignition coil needs to be good (and of course the spark plug). All the wiring between these modules needs to be correct.

Let's try one more commom generic chinese CDI. Does your CDI look anything like this? These are commonly used on 150cc to 250cc machines.

The CDI you bought... Where did you get it from? Can you post a picture, or a link to a picture so we can take a peek?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry it wont let me upload a pic.. but my cdi unit has 2wires goin in and 3wires cumin owt..i have checked all other routes..ie:switch,earth,ignition n they all seem fine..thanks

Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

wot sort ov airfilter do i use on these ram 100cc quads..av got it started n rinnin but the k&n filter av got,seems to giv it to much air..it jst chokes owt all time,but if i spray easy start in carb it runs sweet till it uses all easy start then jst dies..plzzz help ..thankz

Old 03-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

you wouldnt have the kill switch wire from cdi grounded?

Old 03-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

if i ground it then it wont start..if i take it off it srarts but doesnt run properly..am confused...

Old 03-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

could be two problems ?

The gas we get from the pump these days is terrible (ethanol) and will gum up a carb in no time. Ask me how I know... Today has to be the 10th time I rebuilt the carb on my hammerhead twister. This time I pulled the plug off the idle jet, with cab cleaner and compressed air the twister runs probably better than new...

I will use fuel stabilizer meant for gas with ethanol in every tank from today on...

So, sounds like you have a carb that isnt getting enough fuel at idle.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

cheers mate..av had carb off n cleaned 3times now n still no different..very confusin..