1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Baja 250cc starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 250cc starting problem

Okay i read some threads and i still cant seem to fix the issue. I bought a new battery and connected all the wires. The lights turn on, i see sparks when connecting the connectors with a screwdriver. My only problem is the engine does not turn over. I try the yellow start switch and nothing happens. Just wondering what it could be.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kylemick
Okay i read some threads and i still cant seem to fix the issue. I bought a new battery and connected all the wires. The lights turn on, i see sparks when connecting the connectors with a screwdriver. My only problem is the engine does not turn over. I try the yellow start switch and nothing happens. Just wondering what it could be.
i'm trying to figure out what you mean by "connecting the connectors"?
are you jumping the solenoid posts? if so, is it turning over/cranking the engine?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, I'm wondering the same thing . I'm thinking that you might be jumping the solenoid posts too (in which case some sparking would be normal), but that's not really what I think about when talking about "connectors" .

New batteries need to be charged after you add the acid to all of the cells. Did you charge the battery using a motorcycle charger (2 amps maximum)?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes she is charged. We have a tester. and yeah im talking about the posts. we put a screwdriver to connect the 2 posts and nothing.. im just wondering if its a a wiring problem. Bu the lights work and pull start works. just not the button start. The instructions i have for the quad state info for just a black wire and a red wire. But my quad has a big red wire and 3 green wires.... so i dont know, i put the 3 green wires to the negative and the red to the postivie. one of the green wires is going from battery to the screw on the mounting rubber/screw (the thing that keeps the battery in place). Im not sure....

Old 05-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

When you jump the solenoid posts you are connecting the battery directly to the starter motor, bypassing all switches and safety interlocks. So if the starter doesn't turn then we are looking at only a few possibilities:

1) Battery isn't up to the job
2) Wiring to and from the battery/starter motor isn't up to the job
3) Starter is bad
4) Engine can't turn because of mechanical problems

Note again that when you jump the solenoid you are bypassing all interlocks, so the quad could start up in gear and take off unexpectedly. Always make sure that the brakes are set and you are in neutral before jumping acroos the solenoid .

Jump the solenoid again (ignoring any minor sparking) while:

1) Jumping the quad to you car using jumper cables (be sure to get the polarity right). Any change?
2) Measure the DC voltage right on the starter motor input terminal to the starter motor case while jumping the solenoid. What is it? Also measure the voltage at the battery (right on both battery terminals) while jumping the solenoid. What is this voltage as well? This will tell us what the voltage drop is across the cabling to and from the starter.
3) Does the starter spin outside the engine when jumping the solenoid?
4) Does the engine turn? Put a wrench on it, or push it in gear. Take the plug out. Does it turn then?