1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

need help please???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face need help please???

i have a kids atv te-125 bms motor, i bought it brand new, lasted 1 day, blew the magneto coil, which basically fell apart, it was either not attatched properly, or came lose because of a crack in the thread of the case where the coil is attatched to the case. anyway, when the coil fell apart, it scraped the rotor it sits in, now i have 2 take that off and replace that 2, however it looks somewhat complicated 2 me. i know i need a flywheel puller, r there different sizes/types of these, and what brick and mortar store can i get 1, i need it by friday so i am not ordering 1 from online..also, once i get that off, is it as simple as putting the new 1 on, and then putting the coil back in and so forth, or is this a much more complicated thing i am getting into, please only provide me with knowledgeable info..i am a novice, so if u r just guessing at stuff, please dont reply, im confused enuff as it is...i feel bad 4 my boy hes only 7, and only got 2 ride on the piece of junk 1 day before it broke. so i am trying 2 get this fixed 4 him and do this myself, as i just spent almost a grand on this new atv, i simply dont have money 2 take in for repairs, nor do i have the patience 2 deal with the manufacturer, other than ordering the parts, which i did already, any help would b sincerely appreciated with info.links etc. thanks

Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is fairly straightforward. To remove the flywheel on the ones I have seen remove the nut in the center of the flywheel and use a pulley puller to remove the flywheel. It didn't take much force to remove the one I did. You can use a strapwrench to hold the flywheel to remove the bolt and you can "rent" a pulley puller from the autoparts store (you basically give them a deposit, they refund your money when you return it).

Jeff

Old 06-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default thanx 1 more question

once u got everything back together, do u need 2 do anytype of lubricating anything, the rotor, coil, etc, or do nothing and put the gasket and case back on? thankyou, john

Old 06-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

It should be totally dry in there, but you might want to check this thread for something that happened to me on a little 4 wheeler I was working on.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...10cc-quad.html

Jeff

Old 06-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default thanx again for info...

thanx jeff for info on this, i am not at all as knowledgeable as u when it comes 2 atv, so most of what ur talking bout might as well be russian, this is my 1st atv, (well my kids), and like i said its brand new, so i did not expect 2 already be in over my head like this, hopefully by replacing the parts that were damaged it will run good, (for more than 1 day, anyway), i expect 2 get the parts friday, so ill let u know how it goes. im going 2 use your suggestion about the strap wrench, sounds like a good idea, idont know what u mean about the pulley puller as u called it, if i go into the parts store will they know what that means if i call it that? also, how exactly is this used, (im assuming 2 pull the thing off once its loose?), im little confused by that, i know the strap wrench will be helpful in getting the main bolt off in the middle of the mangneto, ( or rotor), ive seen it called several different things, but then what, once the main bolt is off? thanks 4 your time hope youve had a great day. jon

Old 06-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default one more thing...

sorry, one more thing about your link, and my problem...i think what actually happened is the thread for one of the bolts that actually holds the main coil in place was cracked, right down the thread for the bolt, from top to bottom, so i believe this is how the coil became loose 2 begin with, i honestly think it was a defect in the cover, which im surprised by considering it seems 2 b strong metal, and would take a lot to crack it like it was, thus when the coil came loose, it spun out of control in the case, causing the coil to shred in some parts of the six coils, thus leaving a mess, and causing the rotor that spins around it to become full of scratches, and grooves, which is why i have 2 replace that, cause it obviously has 2 b smooth...anyway, since the coil did not appear to be burnt or anything, i dont think anything caused this other than the bolt coming loose.. anyway, take care.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Red face ok i see the pulley pullers for autozone..

but there are so many different kind, sizes, types, how do i know what 1 to get...the configuration is basically the main bolt in center, then there are 3 small, what i call allen wrench bolts surrounding the center one, anyway thats basically what it looks like...

Trending Topics

Old 06-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

What you are looking for is a 3 jaw puller. It will have 3 arms that will grab the rear of the flywheel and the center bolt will go into the center of the crankshaft (after you remove the nut) as you tighten the bolt it will push on the end of the crankshaft and the jaws will pull against the flywheel. The hardest part is getting the jaws to stay on while you take up the slack in the center bolt.

The allen screws you are seeing hold the starter one way bearing onto the rearif the flywheel. You don't need to remove these bolts, but you will need to remove the starter or the snap ring that holds the starter sprocket onto the starter shaft.

Jeff

Old 06-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default thanx...

thanx jeff, i got the flywheel off successfully with your advice, however ive now run into another problem in trying to get the new flywheel on. when i pulled the old one off, the key remained in the shaft. the new flywheel did not come with a new key. therefore knowing how much pressure was needed to pull the old one off, the same amount would be needed to get it back on? and hows that possible without a puller to work in the opposite direction. i must be missing something, now i dont have a clue what to do. the key i finally got out of the crankshaft by popping it out with a screwdriver and hammer, so now i have all the parts but no way to put it all back together, i realize the keys purpose and that it has to go on a certain way, but its like your trying to do something backwards, i dont get it...any help, or could you explain how yours went back on?....did your new flywheel already come with a key in positiion, or is this something you put in yourself, and how does it go back on so easily when it come off so hard? thanks and hope your having a better day than me so far. jon

Old 06-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The flywheel should just slide back on using the same woodruff key on the crankshaft. I'm not understanding - are you saying the flywheel won't go back on easily? Or are you wondering why is goes back on easy. There is a precision matching taper on the flywheel/crankshaft that locks them together after you torque down the bolt on the crankshaft. Once you tighten down the crankshaft mounting bolt you will need a puller again to get the flaywheel back off.

If you go to youtube and search for "atv flywheel installation" you will find a lot of videos to look at. Maybe they are not for your specific engine, but they will be close enough I bet.