1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

hammerhead problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hammerhead problem

Hellow
I believe I have an 06 hammered 200 it says 200 on the side and 150 cc on the motor . I can not get this thing to do anything when I turn the key on it has no power the speed gauge does not light up and I get no lights either . I replaced ignition switch, cdi,starter relay.and coil wire and checked to make sure I have good battery and fuse that's all good .I checked volts at key switch on red wire and I get 11.78 on red wire nothing on white wire when key is on position I can jump at relay and motor will turn over but not start with key in on position .also have looked at harness for a short but don't see any .I don't know were the power comes in this buggy to make sure I'm meeting power to where I'm suppose to any help would be great on what to do next .and I think I'm sure it is dc power cdi the black wire with red strip from stator is not hooked up or was not

Thanks Josh

Old 06-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As I recall from reading other posts about hammerhead twister buggies, there are some published wiring diagrams out there that don't resemble the real world wiring of these machines at all. Apparently they wired these things in different ways, plus they made a transition to DC powered CDIs (from AC powered CDIs) around 2005. I'm not sure of that date .

Some questions:

1) How may wires on your ignition switch, and what are their colors? Give the colors of the wiring harness side of the connector - not any pigtail wires to the ignition switch itself.

2) How many positions on the ignition switch? Is it "off, on, start" (3 positions)?

3) Look at you stator wires coming out of the engine. How many wires and what are the colors? Again, only report the wire colors in the wiring harness side of the connector(s). Is there a stator wire that is hanging free (not connected)?

4) Do you know if your CDI is DC powered or AC powered? Do you have a voltmeter to do some simple tests to find out?

There is another very good forum for buggy info here:

BuggyNews Buggy Forum • Index page

There are a lot of hammerhead owners there. There's no harm in getting info from multiple sources .

This is the wiring diagram I have for a 2005 hammerhead:

hammerhead problem-twister-wire.jpg

Like I said before, it may not resemble your buggy at all...

Old 06-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

1) ignition wires from harness red)red with white strip ) black

2) yes 3 positions off/on/start

3) wires from stator harness yellow / pink / green / blue with yellow strip / and black with red strip that is not hooked to anything I think this is for ac powered cdi ???

4) yes I have a voltmeter

Thanks for the help
Josh

Old 06-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

3) wires from stator harness yellow / pink / green / blue with yellow strip / and black with red strip that is not hooked to anything I think this is for ac powered cdi ???

Thanks for the help
Josh

Old 06-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help
Josh

Old 06-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by joshg0807

Thanks for the help
Josh
It looks like your wiring is pretty match matching the wiring diagram I posted.

Ignition switch wires:

1) red: fused power from battery
2) black: switched 12 volts (+12 volts when ignition is in "on" or "start" position)
3) Red/Whitw: +12 volts when the ignition switch is in the "start" position.

So turn on the ignition switch and make sure you have 12 volts on both the black and red wires. If you only have 12 volts on the red wire (and not on the black wire) then your ignition switch is bad. The black wire is what feeds all your 12 volt powered stuff.

Stator Wires:

1) Yellow: Battery Charge Coils 1 of 2
2) Pink: Battery Charge Coils 2 of 2
3) Green: Ground
4) Blue with yellow stripe: CDI trigger signal
5) Black with Red Stripe: AC Power for an AC powered CDI (which you don't have).

Your CDI is DC powered because the AC power line is not hooked up. Newer hammerheads don't even have this wire at all. And because your CDI is DC powered it needs to have the ignition switch working in order to get 12 volts to the CDI. If your quad had an AC powered CDI, then it would have started when you jumped the solenoid (assuming you didn't have the kill switch on).

Old 06-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I have 12 volts on the red wire at the ignition switch / nothing on the black wire I have two brand new switches is thee any way to jump switch to make sure this is the problem

Old 06-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by joshg0807
Ok I have 12 volts on the red wire at the ignition switch / nothing on the black wire I have two brand new switches is thee any way to jump switch to make sure this is the problem
Sure. But before you do it is absolutely critical that you have a fuse in line with the smaller wire coming off the battery positive terminal. All buggies come with fuses installed, but sometimes they get removed by owners. With a fuse in line, if you short short something you're not supposed to it will blow the fuse instead of melting you wiring harness.

Short the red and black wires together at the ignition switch connector. You lights should come on.

Short all three wires to crank the starter motor. Remove the red/white wire (leaving red and black shorted) once the quad starts to shut off the starter motor.

From the other angle you can test your ignition switches on the bench with your meter set to measure ohms:

1) With the switch "off" all three wires or terminals on the switch are not connected to each other.

2) With the switch in the "on" position you should find only two of the three wires/pins/terminals connected together. The red and black wires go to these two connections. The wire/pin/termnal on the switch that is not connected goes to the red/white wire

3) In the "start" position all three wires should be connected together.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I took the red wire with the fuse on it and tied it to the black wire on the ignition switch and it started and ran but does this tell me the ignition switch is bad or the black wire that runs from ignition switch to cdi is bad

Thanks again for all your help

Old 06-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Electrical Expert

If I understand you correctly, you took the red wire at the ignition switch and shorted it to the black wire. Then (I assume) started the buggy up by also shorting the red/white wire to the red and black wires.

If this is true, then you ignition switch is bad. This is because the ignition switch is supposed to short those wires together exactly like you did.

Since you have multiple new switches that are bad, perhaps you have the wrong switches?

Quick Reply: hammerhead problem