1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Help DC CDI

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help DC CDI

Hello I am rewiring my cdi due to the wires coming out of the plug and no way to get a diagram or anyone who knows anything on my model. This is the way I have wired the CDI now before the orange and green and white were spliced together but after a month of trying to get this thing going i figure i will just do my own wiring the way most say it is done? BTW its a Yamabuggy 250 (slgk 250R) purchased from olsonpowersports.net and as my kind deed for the day i am warning all do not buy from them BBB is all over them they are horrible. If anyone could let me know if this is correct or even give me some pointers i have had this thing about a month and a half and its been down for over a month. BIG DOOR STOP lol
Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by dknuckles; 06-23-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 06-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dknuckles
Hello I am rewiring my cdi due to the wires coming out of the plug and no way to get a diagram or anyone who knows anything on my model. This is the way I have wired the CDI now before the orange and green and white were spliced together but after a month of trying to get this thing going i figure i will just do my own wiring the way most say it is done? BTW its a Yamabuggy 250 (slgk 250R) purchased from olsonpowersports.net and as my kind deed for the day i am warning all do not buy from them BBB is all over them they are horrible. If anyone could let me know if this is correct or even give me some pointers i have had this thing about a month and a half and its been down for over a month. BIG DOOR STOP lol
Thanks,
Dan
You definitely don't want to have the trigger input and coil output wired together. The wiring as you showed in the picture above looks OK. Since the colors are non standard, are you sure the colors go where you think they do? For example, you have an orange wire for the coil output pin on the CDI. If you go over to your ignition coil do you also see an orange wire coming out of the wiring harness that hooks to the ignition coil? And are these two wire ends connected (measure continuity with an ohmmeter)? Verify the trigger connection in the same way.

I posted a part of your private email below. I will embed my comments inside in blue...

Just an update i figured i would save you some typing i went off the post where you helped joe16066 so here are my readings.
1. Stator trigger (Green/White) ACV while cranking .330 cdi disconnected, .144 with it connected, .8 ohms connected to cdi, and disconnected 35 m ohms and progressively drops?

There is a conflict here... Measuring into the wiring harness with the CDI disconnected you should be seeing about 150 ohms or so (the resistance of the trigger pickup coil). You report "35 mOhms". What does that mean? Is it 35 MegaOhms (35,000,000 ohms), or 35 milliOhms (0.035 Ohms). Either way it is wrong. If it was 35 milliohms then it is shorted to ground and you couldn't have measured 330 millivots AC. And if it is 35 MegaOhms then you shouldn't measure 330 millivolts either since the pickup coil wiring is open.

These measurement need to be revisited because they don't add up.

On DC powered CDI it is common for one or more of the kill switches to be wired into the trigger circutry - shorting this line to ground to kill the engine. It is also common for some quads to put a switch in series with the trigger line, opening it up to kill the engine (by removing the trigger signal).

2. CDI is grounded .6 ohms.

This seems a little high, but probably OK

3. I have been leaving the kill switch wire disconnected but that has 323 K ohms. (red/blue)

323K ohms is the same as being open

4. The coil output wire has 3.1 ohms thats more than the spec you gave wich was .3 ohms this coil is an upgraded coil because the other two coils shorted and let the smoke out.

I've never seen a coil primary resistance that high, but recently there was another thread where the coil has 1.9 ohms and the quad eventually got running without changing the coil. Let's get the trigger signal discrepancies sorted out first, then come back to this if needed.

I measured the output to the coil from the cdi while cranking on ac volts and i have .001 vac. I am thinking i have yet another bad cdi and i am hoping that the coil i have will work being its the last one i have...

No voltage here could be due to a lack of a trigger signal, a bad CDI, and/or a bad coil. Your trigger signal measurements are definately bad, so let's start there...
Note:

I'm on vacation, and on the road. Whether or not I can post depends on the availability of internet access in the hotel room. If I don't respond in a timely manner it is because I can't .

Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your reply especially on vacation i really do appreciate it! ok i went back through and found that the reading on the trigger wire was due to a bare slice contacting the frame slightly so now when i ohm it out it is reading as open OL but when i do an ac voltage reading disconnected i am getting .2-.3 vac? so if the reading is correct in ac how can that be possible that the trigger can read as open? i cut the harness all the way up to where it connects to the stator connectors and nothing is spliced in just runs straight from stator to cdi. i will see if i can find another coil for this model but from what i have been told the manufacturer stopped making parts for this model already and it is a 2010... maybe i will order a stator to if i am lucky enough to find one compatible. Again thank you so much for your help and dedication you have been the only one in over a month to actually try to help me. I hope you enjoy your vacation!
Dan

Old 06-25-2011, 01:40 AM
Electrical Expert

...i went back through and found that the reading on the trigger wire was due to a bare slice contacting the frame slightly so now when i ohm it out it is reading as open OL but when i do an ac voltage reading disconnected i am getting .2-.3 vac? so if the reading is correct in ac how can that be possible that the trigger can read as i went back through and found that the reading on the trigger wire was due to a bare slice contacting the frame slightly so now when i ohm it out open?.....
Open is not right. So if you go back to the wire connection right at the stator and measure the resistance to ground there do you still measure open? If so you have a problem inside the stator. I would take the side cover off and look further to see if I can see an open wire. Then take the stator off and see if you can see a problem that can be fixed.

It may be that the AC signal that you're measuring is caused by just capacitive pickup from signals from adjacent wires in the wiring harness. This is further supported by the fact that you get a reduced voltage for the trigger signal with the CDI hooked up. Normally the output voltage of the trigger pickup coil is the same whether it is loaded by the 5K ohm input impedance to the CDI or not. But this wouldn't be true for pickup from adjacent wires.

... i will see if i can find another coil for this model but from what i have been told the manufacturer stopped making parts for this model already and it is a 2010... maybe i will order a stator to if i am lucky enough to find one compatible....
There are so many generic parts out there that fit numerous quads. Just because your manufacturer isn't around anymore doesn't mean their supplier of bolt on parts isn't providing the same generic parts to several other manufacturers.

... Again thank you so much for your help and dedication you have been the only one in over a month to actually try to help me. I hope you enjoy your vacation!
Dan
Internet connections have been a little slow (but free), and doable if I don't try to connect during peak hours. Perhaps if I stayed at more upscale hotels where there aren't weeds growing in the parking lot it would be better...

Old 06-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

You should be at a five star! I figured it out! The pickup was reading open because it wasn't grounded:-) oddly enough it works opposite the way most others work? The kill switch is actually wired straight the the other lead off the coil and controls the ground for that? Before all this happend I actually had the kill switch disconnected and it ran fine? Although it was wired differently before... still not sure how it worked with the coil and trigger wire spliced together? Lynn I owe you a case of beer you saved the day! Actually the month! Thank you so much for all your help! Enjoy your vacation you deserve it!
Dan

Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Electrical Expert

I'm glad you got it working, Dan .

Old 06-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you again so much couldn't have done it without you!