1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

90cc Wilderness four wheeler won't start...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90cc Wilderness four wheeler won't start...HELP!!

My husband recently purchased a used 2004 90cc Wilderness ATV for our twins who are patiently waiting for daddy to fix it
I've spent hours online researching what the problem could be while my husband has tried every option I've given him so far....
We bought the four wheeler from a close friend that doesn't know much about atv's & couldn't get it start at all...he told us the Rectifier needed replacing. Not so sure thats the problem though. We've been able to make it run by spraying starter fluid in the carburetor, but only for a few seconds. We've taken the carb off, cleaned it and put it back on and that didn't help. I've read tons of forums that indicate it could be an electrical problem with wiring, CDI, Stator, ect....ANY info would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AmberJoiner
My husband recently purchased a used 2004 90cc Wilderness ATV for our twins who are patiently waiting for daddy to fix it
I've spent hours online researching what the problem could be while my husband has tried every option I've given him so far....
We bought the four wheeler from a close friend that doesn't know much about atv's & couldn't get it start at all...he told us the Rectifier needed replacing. Not so sure thats the problem though. We've been able to make it run by spraying starter fluid in the carburetor, but only for a few seconds. We've taken the carb off, cleaned it and put it back on and that didn't help. I've read tons of forums that indicate it could be an electrical problem with wiring, CDI, Stator, ect....ANY info would be greatly appreciated!!
welcome to the forums!
i don't think it's an electrical issue.
ok, you said it starts and runs with starter fluid. if that's the case, i know you said you cleaned the carburetor, but did you remove the jets?
there are two small jets in the carb that have to be cleaned manually. use compressed air after you've used aerosol carb cleaner. the little orifices you see in the pic have to be cleaned and you should see daylight through them. also, look down the jets longways, like down your kids' throat. you should also see daylight. use small gauge wire or an oxy-acetylene torch tip cleaner pack to rod out the orifices. it sounds like the carb is not getting gasoline through it. i'm sure you've checked to see if fuel is going to the carb and may have found gasoline in the float bowl. that's good if you found gasoline in the bowl. now we got to get it into the jets to the cylinder. when starting, make sure the left handlebar brake is set. sounds like you have spark also if it ran on starter fluid. here's one of many hyperlinks that show you how to clean a carb and shows jet removal. the carb in the video may not be identical to yours, but the concept is the same. in the pic above, even the little orifices on the side of the jet needs to be clean so as to see through them. good luck, report back if you have anymore problems..

‪how to clean a carb on a ATV‬‏ - YouTube