1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Sea Foam? or Carb Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:02 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Sea Foam? or Carb Rebuild?

I have rebult/cleaned hundreds of carbs in my life.. 99% of the time it fixes the iffy running condition....

Problem is Im getting lazy and have read countless miracle results from using Sea Foam..

Over the weekend I fired up my 2 stroke trimmer.. its been running bad since I fired it up in the spring.. has gotten worse over the summer..didnt want to rebuild its carb and had just bought a can of SeaFoam.. I mixed 1/2 oz in its pint of gas and fired it up.. it ran worse for about 90 seconds and then started to run better.. by the time I got done with the lawn the trimmer would idle.. Hasnt done that since last summer..

Monday my g/s wanted a ride on a quad.. fired up the Jetmoto 150 and it was idling rough and hesitated when I hit the gas..(ran it for 15 minutes or so) Mixed 3 ozs of SeaFoam in a gallon of gas(drained the gas that was in the tank) Fire it up and it to ran worse for a minute or so.. then slowly improved.. rode it around for about 1/2 hour and its good as new again..

Old 08-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

When I sold my quad, it had been sitting for a while. Options were rebuild the carb or just use seafoam. Went the easy way. Got the crap cleaned out and did wind up selling it. Guy that bought it raced it two weeks later and got 2nd place.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so there's no ill side effects from seafoam in the machine?

Old 08-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Originally Posted by Jaster94
I've been adding it to the tank on my old bike for 3 years about every 3rd fill up. Never had any issues with it. Just bought another and doing the same with it.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:59 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by Jaster94
I cant imagine there would be..It is a petroleum based product.. says you can add it to oil, gas, diesel.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

correct me if i'm wrong, but if sea foam is able to clean carbon buildup off intake valves on cars, ect, woudlnt it break down the oil in the crankcase on a 4 stroke, or the oil in the gas on a two stroke?

i know sea foam tells you to change your oil after running it in your crankcase, and they suggest changing spark plugs after running it thru the gas or vacuum tube

Old 08-19-2011, 10:01 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally Posted by DAMONSQUAD
correct me if i'm wrong, but if sea foam is able to clean carbon buildup off intake valves on cars, ect, woudlnt it break down the oil in the crankcase on a 4 stroke, or the oil in the gas on a two stroke?

i know sea foam tells you to change your oil after running it in your crankcase, and they suggest changing spark plugs after running it thru the gas or vacuum tube
I dont know .. its made from oil.. I'll let you know if my 2 stroke trimmer seizes up..

That would make sense...

Ive only added it to gas so far..

Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
I dont know .. its made from oil.. I'll let you know if my 2 stroke trimmer seizes up..

That would make sense...

Ive only added it to gas so far..
yea like i said i could be wrong, but if it can break down carbon buildup, i would assume it can't do much good for viscosity of oil at all. i have heard good things about it when used properly tho, i just never used it myself, i'm not a believer of a mechanic in a bottle at all

Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

It says you can add it to the crankcase and leave it in there on their website. It will loosen up oil deposits as the motor runs. They also say it will get the oil dirtier, quicker. So to keep an eye on that and change the oil as needed. I've dumped it in the truck before an oil change, and once put some in the bikes case and drove about 150 miles and changed the oil. No issues from either.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:16 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

yea like i said i could be wrong, but if it can break down carbon buildup, i would assume it can't do much good for viscosity of oil at all. i have heard good things about it when used properly tho, i just never used it myself,

i'm not a believer of a mechanic in a bottle at all
My first time with the product.. normally I would just clean the carb...going to use my trimmer tomorrow. Ill let you know..

Im not a believer either (yet)... but Im going to try it some more and see for myself..

Quick Reply: Sea Foam? or Carb Rebuild?