1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Dinli Diablo 150 won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dinli Diablo 150 won't turn off

Friend dropped off a dinli 150 that runs so good, that it won't shut off when you turn off the key or the handle bar killswitch. The CDI is a 6 wire. The killswitch does switch the black/white wire to ground when it is switched to off yet bike still runs. Any more troubleshooting you would recommend? Could it be a bad CDI? I'm not sure if quad came with a remote kill switch, it does not have one currently. Thanks for you time. It will not start without the ignition to on, but I once you turn ignition to off, it does not turn off.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know anything about Dinli's. So I can speak only generic terms about how kill switch functions work on a lot of chinese quads. I think it applies to yours too, but can't be 100% certain...

This is what I would do:

1) Remove the CDI. Take a meter and measure the resistance of the black/white wire in the harness at the CDI connector to engine ground. Do this with all the kill switches in the "run" position, and with the ignition switch "on". What resistance do you measure?

2) Now turn off the ignition switch, and remeasure the resistance of the same wire to ground. What do you measure?

3) Turn the ignition switch back on. Turn the handlebar kill switch to the "kill" position. Remeasure the resistance of the same black/white wire at the CDI connector to engine ground again. What do you measure?

What I'm trying to do with these tests is to determine if:

A) Whether you need a ground at the CDI kill switch connection to enable spark, or to kill it...
B) Whether the ignition switch is affecting the condition of the kill switch pin at the CDI.
C) Whether the handle bar kill switch is affecting the condition of the kill switch pin at the CDI.

A,B & C above are major clues as to what is going on....

Old 09-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
I don't know anything about Dinli's. So I can speak only generic terms about how kill switch functions work on a lot of chinese quads. I think it applies to yours too, but can't be 100% certain...

This is what I would do:

1) Remove the CDI. Take a meter and measure the resistance of the black/white wire in the harness at the CDI connector to engine ground. Do this with all the kill switches in the "run" position, and with the ignition switch "on". What resistance do you measure?

2) Now turn off the ignition switch, and remeasure the resistance of the same wire to ground. What do you measure?

3) Turn the ignition switch back on. Turn the handlebar kill switch to the "kill" position. Remeasure the resistance of the same black/white wire at the CDI connector to engine ground again. What do you measure?

What I'm trying to do with these tests is to determine if:

A) Whether you need a ground at the CDI kill switch connection to enable spark, or to kill it...
B) Whether the ignition switch is affecting the condition of the kill switch pin at the CDI.
C) Whether the handle bar kill switch is affecting the condition of the kill switch pin at the CDI.

A,B & C above are major clues as to what is going on....
I put my Fluke Meter on the Ohm setting (not going to lie, I don't know how to use very much on this thing). Here are my values:
1) 001.6
2) OL
3) OL

OL = > 4 as this is all my fluke seems to measure on the screen. Does this make any sense?
Thanks,
Brian

Old 09-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

From your measurements it looks like your CDI needs to have the kill switch pin grounded to *enable* spark. If the connection to this pin is opened up by the ignition switch or the handlebar kill switch then the spark is *killed*. Note that this is backwards to generic chinese quads where the kill switch pin grounded to *kill* the spark.

All you tests indicate that the switches are working right up to the CDI connector. Look for possible loose or bad connections between the connector pin and the CDI module, else your CDI has a bad "kill" input.

Dinli parts are hard to get. If you CDI is working otherwise I would be inclined to add a switch that shorts the timing trigger pulse from the stator ground to kiil the spark. This is pefectly legitimate and won't hurt anything. Without a trigger (if you short it to ground with a switch) the CDI won't fire and there will be no spark. You could also cut the trigger wire and insert a switch in the path. Switched closed = spark, open = no spark.

But I don't know what color wire your quad uses for the trigger signal. What color wire are at you CDI connector? We might have to probe around with a meter to find it.

I did find some Dinli wiring diagrams inside downloadable service manuals here:

Dinli Parts Manuals

They do have a 150cc service manual but the wiring diagram is on the last page - which is the only page missing in the manual . All the other wiring diagrams showed five wire CDI's, but they all did agree about the CDI requiring a ground at the kill pin to enable spark.