1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Lifan 250cc Dinosaur

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, that's where I started about a month ago.....my switch had been bypassed internally, so it's all messed up inside. Could you please take a couple pics of the internals, so I can attempt to repair it and also a pic showing the connector and wire colors so I can put the wires back into the connector correctly.........like I said, I tore it all apart after being unable to find a proper replacement......certainly someone must sell the darn thing, but I am going to attempt a repair in the meantime.....thanks a bunch.

Roger

Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

There is a place in Canada that seems to have a few remaining parts for this model bike. I was going to buy new fenders but the price was a little steep for a budget bike. Let me see if I can dig up their name/info for you. I can get you the pics of that control unit tomorrow.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

This is the company I have bought parts from through ebay. They don't have anything currently listed on ebay but perhaps you can dig around the web using their name:

eBay My World - allstarsalez

Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info. I've tried eBay many times searching for YAMOTO and have not come up with anything so far. I think I've come across that eBay seller before during my searches, but not anytime recently.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Here is the mystery box on the left, and the ebay replacement cdi on the right (noted to only be about 2/3 the size of the one I took off).

Looking at the connector on the mysterious box, the wires were:

Yellow
Red/yellow stripe
Green/blue stripe
Blue/red stripe
Middle pin was empty
Green
Green/blue stripe
Black/white stripe
Black

8 wires on a 9 pin square connector

I couldn't find anything after searching around. This really is a mystery. If it were me I would get a notebook/pencil and go over the entire quad wiring system looking at every connector on the quad. I would look for any instance where you find the same color wires as on the mystery connector, and document it. For each wire you find write down the wire color and what the wire plugs into. For example it could be a wire that goes to a neutral switch, or a kill switch, etc. With all this info tabulated we can figure out what the function of each of these wires are for (or at least most of them), and based on those functions surmise what the mystery is up to...

The thing that will be helping is the fact that quad manufacturers always use different wire colors for different wire functions. And all the wires that do the same function use the same color. Thus all kill switch wiring will use the same color (and be connected together). All switched/fused 12 volt power will be the same color, and all grounds will the same colors, etc.

So what else has a green/blue wire tied to it? What else has a blue/red? And so on... These are all clues to the puzzle.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
... But if what you are saying is correct, I should be able to trigger both coils off the same CDI pin and it should run. However, it begs common sense, why did they not do this from the factory? Why use separate pins? And, would I burn up a single cylinder cdi by attempting to drive two coils at once?
Perhaps the separate pins is only to make the wiring harness assembly easier. I would take a ohm meter and measure your old CDI and see if the two separate coil drive pins from the CDI are in fact connected together inside the CDI.

On the generic single cylinder 6 pin CDI there are two ground pins. Usually only one is used, but sometimes there are two ground wires that come to the CDI. These two wires get shorted together by internal traces within the CDI.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Range Rover

Hey buddy, just wanted to update you from my end.............I got a CDI with the stamp CM125 (my old one said CM250) and from what I gather online, they are interchangeable, but do have the dual firing as we require. I popped that sucker in and mine fired right up (verified firing on both cylinders with my spark tester).

Not sure if you've done anything else with yours, but let us know. Also, I still request those pics of the wires/connector and internal of the left handlebar switch so I can attempt to repair my original switch. One thing on this switch I have on right now is the kill function just kills the lights and not the engine and that is going annoy the crap out of me eventually.

I hate to re-wire it again just to burn up another CDI which is what I did several weeks ago and been spinning my wheels until today.

Thanks,
Roger

Old 09-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Well I popped in the CDI, no fire on either cylinder. Popped back in the old one, and no fire on either cylinder. I've got something else wrong. I will likely dissect the entire harness and eliminate any un-needed crap and get it down to bare bones. I will snap some pics here in a bit.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Range Rover

Oh man, sounds like our quads are just waaaaay too much alike after all....hahaha......that's how everything started with me. Well, now that mine is functioning again (minus the kill switch part of it), let me know if I can shoot any wiring to let you know what the readings should be. I believe on my troubleshooting thread, I have all the readings at the CDI connectors when Lynn and I started diagnosing my no spark problem. Have a look at that and compare.

Oh, and as for that mystery box next to the CDI, I haven't touched it on mine and have no idea what it may be...........a bit afraid to touch it.

Thanks again in advance for the pics.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

Here's the info I got. If you need anything else let me know.

The colors inside the switch are:

4 for the headlights:
Blue, White, Brown, and Green/Black stripe

2 for the kill switch:
Black/White stripe, Green

2 for starting:
Yellow/Red stripe, and Green

The switch plug, going to the switch looking at the end that the wires come out of are configured: (female plug)

...................clip...........................
Blue-------Black/white------Green....Raised hump here
White-----Yellow/Red-------Black.....
Empty-------Brown---------Empty....Raised hump here

Quick Reply: Lifan 250cc Dinosaur