1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Lifan 250cc Dinosaur

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 zei atv ign. Schematic

This is a diagram that I drew for myself to help me to understand the ignition system on my China quad. This machine has a reverse controller module that limits the speed that the thing will go in reverse. The CDI on this quad is unique ( read "expensive") to this kind of system and coupled to the controller. I have ordered a replacement CDI and in a week or so I should be able to report if I have spark or not.
The ignition coils and impulse coil all have two pin connectors and were disconnected when I bought the quad. I think the impulse coil connects to the black/blue wire of the CDI.
I thought it odd that the black wire from the rectifier was hanging loose with nowhere to connect to.
The two wires from the clutch lever switch were also not connected and I guess they can remain so.
There is a fuel level warning light and wiring, but no fuel sensor that I can find to connect to.
Maybe my home made diagram could help someone else make sense of their ignition system. That's my reason for sharing. If you spot mistakes in it ,don't hesitate to say so. Incorrect info could be worse than no info.

Last edited by Resourcefull; 07-01-2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: image uploaded incorrectly
Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default '06 ZEI ATV ignition homemade schematic

Name:  DSCF9007.jpg
Views: 5096
Size:  65.1 KB

Old 07-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great job on the diagram. A keeper for sure...

I haven't checked it out completely yet, but a cursory look doesn't show any errors.

The thing is that factory wiring diagrams are rarely without errors, so at least you are on par with that at the worst. But I expect you are actually better than that .

Please do report back when you get the new CDI...

Originally Posted by Resourcefull
This is a diagram that I drew for myself to help me to understand the ignition system on my China quad. This machine has a reverse controller module that limits the speed that the thing will go in reverse. The CDI on this quad is unique ( read "expensive") to this kind of system and coupled to the controller. I have ordered a replacement CDI and in a week or so I should be able to report if I have spark or not.
The ignition coils and impulse coil all have two pin connectors and were disconnected when I bought the quad. I think the impulse coil connects to the black/blue wire of the CDI.
I thought it odd that the black wire from the rectifier was hanging loose with nowhere to connect to.
The two wires from the clutch lever switch were also not connected and I guess they can remain so.
There is a fuel level warning light and wiring, but no fuel sensor that I can find to connect to.
Maybe my home made diagram could help someone else make sense of their ignition system. That's my reason for sharing. If you spot mistakes in it ,don't hesitate to say so. Incorrect info could be worse than no info.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up Sweet Success !!!

My new CDI arrived in the mail today as promised by China Parts Depot in Vernon BC Canada. Of all the parts sources that I found on the net, this one gave me the confidence that I was going to get the right part. Lots of parts are interchangeable on these China ATVs but my research indicated that this particular CDI is somewhat unique like I said before. I plugged it in and cranked the motor over and to my shear delight the plugs were sparking! I put the plugs in, turned the fuel on, set the choke and when I cranked it over she started to run, although somewhat reluctantly. I really had no business expecting it to run on the old gas in her. It might be as old as 6 years. So now to clean the carbs, change the oil and treat her to some fresh fuel. My cost on the CDI $82 with shipping. Much more expensive than a lot of other China CDIs, but still lots cheaper than a Honda one and who could tell me for sure which Honda one would work on my quad? I may order a spare to make sure that I can change it out if this CDI fails in future. I hope that sharing my experience is helpful to someone else facing the same issues. I look forward to posting again when my machine is ready to hit the trails.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Resourcefull
... I hope that sharing my experience is helpful to someone else facing the same issues. I look forward to posting again when my machine is ready to hit the trails.
I've never seen a reverse control module. So in that regard you've already helped out someone (me)

Old 07-08-2012, 02:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Tricks For This Old Dog

I must say that I have had to stretch my trouble shooting and research skills to get this China quad to fire up. I owe a debt to the all the folks that contribute to this forum . I consider it a good day when I have the opportunity to learn something new.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

I will be fully parting this bike out. Every single piece is for sale. Carbs are near new, and engine runs.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

So here's a wierd problem. I have a 2008 Gio250 single cylinder quad that has this reverse controller module. It melted last year, and has now melted again. you can see that it got super hot and I guess the cicuitry just packed it in. I have taken the entire thing apart and checked grounds, connections, etc. etc. Could it be that the replacement I bought was a dud, or is there something else that I should be looking at?

Old 12-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default cdi unit

hi i have the very same problem cant get cdi unit for twin not sure what make engine or year but like yours seperate coils and a box forward with 8 pins and haven,t a clew what it is so please if u get sorted let me know and like wise thank u

Old 03-11-2016, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 2006 Long Chang Viking 250 with 253FMM engine which sat in and for maybe 7 years without use, this year I thought that I'd make some use for it and bought used country cycle plow and an winch for it. Everything went fine until it came time to start it.
No spark.

CDI had died, ignition switch had rusted, carb was gunged, stator, pickup and ignition coils were fine.
Bought parts, fixed carb, got voltage in coil wires up until coils were on place, then it disappeared.
Checked the wires and solderings and ground, switched new wires, soldered everything again, sanded grounds.
Still no spark.
Almost bought rope and grease.

Then I thought of something new after reading this thread for the 50th time:

The old CDI was named CM250-A, new was from same manufacturer and on the bottom read CM250.
I figured that if I'd stick the AC and ground wires in it the it might be possible to check if it had some differences in it without blowing it up, didn't believe it though.

And there it was.

Maybe this helps someone in the future.