1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Red Cat 110 Carb

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Cat 110 Carb

I got this 4 wheeler back in 2006 and it use to run good but I think I let it sit too long with gas in the tank. It hasn't been rode that much, I'd say 10-15 hours max.

One thing that puzzles me about the carburetor is when you take the bowl off there are 2 brass stems with holes thru them. On top there is a hex and I unscrewed it and in one part it had a bunch of small holes drilled in it, then there is a hole that goes all the way thru it but I seen some gunk in there and thought it was clogged up.

Is that hole suppose to be blocked off or does it need to be cleaned out?

I just used some carb cleaner on it, but do I need to soak it in some like mineral spirits or Seafoam?

Also, the battery seemed to turn the started over good once charged up but then all of a sudden it acts like it's dead and will barely turn the starter. Is it the battery or could the starter be going out?
I'll probably get a new battery for it today anyway.

Thanks,

Old 11-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer

Got the carb cleaned but have new prob.
Seemed the battery was weak even with a good battery so we took the started off thinking it was in a bind. Big mistake, can't get it back on.

Any idea on how to get it on?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you're right about the orifices in the jets. they have to be clean and you must be able to see light through them. they feed gasoline to the throat to the cylinder. you did good there. about the battery. if you don't have it on a slow charge at 2 amps, it could go bad while sitting there for a long time. i want you to think about this. if your car or pickup truck doesn't want to turn over, do you pull the starter or start checking everything else out? atvs are no different. it seems that the battery could be discharging and going bad due to a dry cell or inadequate connections. could be a bad solenoid. as far as reinstalling the starter, i don't know. sorry, i have not messed with that particular brand or style of starter. i'll send you some stuff on Red Cat that may help you out. i'll PM it to you......

Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Trailblazer

I'll try to explain this the best I can.

We pull the starter apart accidentally and had a time putting it back together with the brushes.We finally got it back together and hooked it up directly with a battery charger to make sure it would spin, and it did.
Then after it was on it seemed to turn the motor over very slowly and then stopped.
Also, if I decide to take it back apart, is there an easy way to put it together, the brushed are kind hard to hold back.

I guess it's the solenoid making the clicking sound. Got the meter out and and one post stayed hot and one post was hot after pressing the starter button.
It's also reads 12.28 volts on the wires to the starter while pressing starter button.

Is it time for a new starter?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:06 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have 12 volts to the starter motor measured at the starter motor itself, and the starter motor doesn't turn then you have a bad starter motor (most likely) or the engine is too hard to turn (rare).

But you need to measure this voltage right at the start motor: Red meter lead on the starter input screw post, and the black meter lead right on the starter motor case.

If you read less than 11 volts at the starter motor then we have other issues to investigate.