1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

SunL 110 will not start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SunL 110 will not start!

Just picked up a SunL 110 for the kids and I cannot get it to start without jumping the solenoid. First off my question is do one or both of the brakes need to be "activated" to start, and if so the rear brake switch is connected but the front brake switch is not. Could this be the problem? If it is, my problem is then determining where I connect the two wires to. There are no wires in the harness that are not connected to something. Something else I noticed, the green wire coming from the start button beside the left hand grip dead ends in the harness with no corresponding wire from the other side.

Michael

Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

does the left hand brake switch activate? can you hear a "tink" when engaging it? does the brake light illuminate? that should be a safety interlock. the brake light doesn't necessarily have to work, BUT the brake switch on the left hand must activate! if it doesn't, that'll kill the spark. i'm no electrician, that's LYNNEDWARDS, but i would tend to believe that the green wire is a ground. i'm unsure.
just to reiterate, the brake switch on the left handlebar MUST be satisfied, then the starter switch will work and you won't have to jump the solenoid and you will have spark. once you obtain spark, fuel, and satisfy the interlocks, she'll run.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Definately look at the brake light (as Jaster94 suggested). If the brake light is on the safety interlock is satisfied. The brake safety interlock keeps the starter motor from turning, but on the majority of chinese quads is doesn't prevent spark. But if the starter motor doesn't turn that is a somewhat of a moot point .

Green wires are usually ground. Look around for some small gauge wires out of the wiring harness that are bolted to frame or engine ground. Are these green too? If so, then green wires are ground on your quad.

How do you know this wire stops in the middle of the harness? Take an ohmmeter and measure the resistance of this wire to ground on a low scale (like 20 ohms). If it reads zero ohms then it is grounded even if you don't see where. If it doesn't read ground, and your other green wires *are* ground, then try connecting it to ground and see if your starter button works. Oh... Before you do this check your fuse and make sure that:

1) You have one (in other words someone hasn't hacked it out)
2) It is a reasonable value like 7 amps - not 30 amps.

This way you won't hurt anything...

Old 12-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

I kinda figured the switch just needed grounded, and the replies confirmed it. These Chinese harness' are sometimes confusing due to the drastic color change you encounter at times. It seems as though the "middle section" of the entire harness is the scrap pieces from another job, where as the component ends are all consistent.