1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

another no spark chinese quad

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another no spark chinese quad

well this is my first post but i have been reading the past couple days to get an idea what i need to try to figure out my no spark issue..

im not sure if i even did the testing right but this is the meter i used DT830
Digital Multimeters DT830/ET830;E-SUN|China Multimeter Manufacturer

my testing consisted of this does have 5pin cdi
kill switch is unhooked from cdi
1) Unplug the CDI. In the wiring connector measure the resistance of the AC Ignition Power pin to the Ground pin. You should see 400 ohms or so. What do you measure? 335ohm

2) Measure the resistance of the Timing/trigger pin to the ground pin. You should measure 150 ohms or so. What do you measure? 117ohm

3) Leave the CDI unplugged. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 100 volt scale. Measure the voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin to the ground pin while cranking the engine. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC while the engine is cranking. What do you measure? 53 VAC

4) Set your meter to measure AC volts on the lowest scale you have. Ideally this would be 2 volts but many meters don't go down this low. In that case use the lowest scale you have. Measure the voltage on the Timing Trigger pin to the Ground pin while cranking the engine. You should 0.2 t0 0.4 volts AC. What do you measure?
mine dont read low so i got nothing

Now for measuring the output side of the CDI:

A) Leave the CDI unplugged. In the CDI wiring connector measure the resistance of the Ignition Coil pin to the ground pin. You should measure less than 1 ohm (but not zero ohms). What do you measure? .7

B) Plug the CDI back in. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 20 volt scale. Set all kill switches to the run position. Crank the engine while measuring the voltage on the Igntition Coil pin to ground. Poke through the insulation of the wire if you can't probe the connector.
Caution: There should be moderately high voltage spikes on this wire. Make sure your fingers are not part of the circuitry. Don't touch the probe lead tips while doing this test.

i think i got nothing

What you should see is a lot of random numbers with lots of zero values as well. This is because the meter may catch all or part of the spark event voltage, with a lot of nothing in between. Describe what you see.
Note: Using a meter to measure this point produces highly variable results depending on the meter. What you really need is an oscilloscope, but most always a meter is all that is available. We have to do the best we can with what's available. Describe the meter results as accurately as you can - there is information there to chew

Old 01-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My responses embedded in Blue...

Originally Posted by chineseatv
well this is my first post but i have been reading the past couple days to get an idea what i need to try to figure out my no spark issue..

Digital Multimeters DT830/ET830;E-SUN|China Multimeter Manufacturer [I have several of these meters. They are not very reliable, but the price is right. I think I paid $2.99 each (batteries included). Of the six I originally bought I have three left (maybe its four). There just about disposable...]

1) Unplug the CDI. In the wiring connector measure the resistance of the AC Ignition Power pin to the Ground pin. You should see 400 ohms or so. What do you measure? 335ohm

2) Measure the resistance of the Timing/trigger pin to the ground pin. You should measure 150 ohms or so. What do you measure? 117ohm

3) Leave the CDI unplugged. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 100 volt scale. Measure the voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin to the ground pin while cranking the engine. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC while the engine is cranking. What do you measure? 53 VAC [53 volts AC is fine. This also says the 335 ohm resistance you measured above is also fine.]

4) Set your meter to measure AC volts on the lowest scale you have. Ideally this would be 2 volts but many meters don't go down this low. In that case use the lowest scale you have. Measure the voltage on the Timing Trigger pin to the Ground pin while cranking the engine. You should 0.2 t0 0.4 volts AC. What do you measure?
mine dont read low so i got nothing [Even on the 200 volts AC scale you should read something like 0.2 volts AC. But you couls have a bad meter too. Can you borrow a better meter?]

A) Leave the CDI unplugged. In the CDI wiring connector measure the resistance of the Ignition Coil pin to the ground pin. You should measure less than 1 ohm (but not zero ohms). What do you measure? .7 [OK]

B) Plug the CDI back in. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 20 volt scale. Set all kill switches to the run position. Crank the engine while measuring the voltage on the Igntition Coil pin to ground. Poke through the insulation of the wire if you can't probe the connector.
Caution: There should be moderately high voltage spikes on this wire. Make sure your fingers are not part of the circuitry. Don't touch the probe lead tips while doing this test.

i think i got nothing ["I think I got nothing" is not very reassuring. This is a really important test where it is worthwhile to take extra care to get good results (whether they be "something" or not)]. If you only get zero volts here it suggests that your CDI is bad or not being triggered. Getting voltage measurements here says your CDI is being triggered. This is a fork in the troubleshooting path. "I think" is not a good enough answer to figure out which fork to take

What you should see is a lot of random numbers with lots of zero values as well. This is because the meter may catch all or part of the spark event voltage, with a lot of nothing in between. Describe what you see.
Note: Using a meter to measure this point produces highly variable results depending on the meter. What you really need is an oscilloscope, but most always a meter is all that is available. We have to do the best we can with what's available. Describe the meter results as accurately as you can - there is information there to chew
Also, what is the history of this quad? What brand? What engine size? Did this quad suddenly die, or did you buy it in a broken state? Have you ever seen it run? Does the wiring look intact, or does it look like like it has been modified in any way?

The purpose of the last questions is just to gather as much data as possible to add into the mix...

Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
My responses embedded in Blue...

Also, what is the history of this quad? What brand? What engine size? Did this quad suddenly die, or did you buy it in a broken state? Have you ever seen it run? Does the wiring look intact, or does it look like like it has been modified in any way?

The purpose of the last questions is just to gather as much data as possible to add into the mix...

im gonna have to see what kind of meter my dad has i know he HAD a good one..

i also order an extra cdi off ebay for like 6bucks last night

i bought it with no spark you can tell someone has been threw the harness but its not hacked up.. it cranks and everything that i can tell works other then getting spark... i think its a Kazuma 110 falcon i know its at least a 110cc

Old 01-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

my updates are in green

i still dont know how good my test are since its some kind of radio shack meter.. but it did put out the same results other then whats changed

3) Leave the CDI unplugged. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 100 volt scale. Measure the voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin to the ground pin while cranking the engine. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC while the engine is cranking. What do you measure? 53 VAC

mine dont read low so i got nothing 40.4

A) Leave the CDI unplugged. In the CDI wiring connector measure the resistance of the Ignition Coil pin to the ground pin. You should measure less than 1 ohm (but not zero ohms). What do you measure? .7 .3

i think i got nothing
jumped to 300+ and then right to .913

Old 01-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Any other suggestions

Old 01-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Electrical Expert

My responses in Blue...

my updates are in green

i still dont know how good my test are since its some kind of radio shack meter.. but it did put out the same results other then whats changed

mine dont read low so i got nothing 40.4[That's quite a difference between "nothing" and 40.4 something. What scale were you on? It couldn't have been the 200 volts AC scale on the chinese meter in the link above. It can't have been 40.4 volts AC on any meter. The voltage here just cannot get that high. So I'm confused. This needs to be remeasured, and note what meter settings are being used]

A) Leave the CDI unplugged. In the CDI wiring connector measure the resistance of the Ignition Coil pin to the ground pin. You should measure less than 1 ohm (but not zero ohms). What do you measure? .7 .3 [This sounds OK]

i think i got nothing
jumped to 300+ and then right to .913 [To get 300 volts and then 0.913 volts requires a readout with six digits (3 to the left of the decimal point, and three to the right). Your chinese meter in the link above can't do this. Does your radio shack meter autorange perhaps? But the 300 volts is still way outside the possible voltages at cranking speeds. The peak voltage on the coil primary should be no more than the AC ignition power pin voltage times the square root of 2. So you can't measure more than that. You measured the AC ignition power voltage at 53 volts, so that would leave a maximum voltage at roughly 75 volts - not 300 plus. Something is wrong here. I suspect you aren't measuring what you think your are measuring. Could you redo this test too...]

Old 01-08-2012, 06:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

To be honest I think the radio shack meter is junk and cheap also I'm gonna try to go find a decent meter today.. Should I assume quality is better with the higher priced ones

The radio shack meter is an autorange I couldnt find details online about it that's why I didn't post any

Thanks Again

EDITED
I think I might go buy this one today seems to be good for me to work on my cars with and help figure this quad out
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc..._&sortType=low

Trending Topics

Old 01-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

heres results with new meter i did buy this one
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc..._&sortType=low
1) Unplug the CDI. In the wiring connector measure the resistance of the AC Ignition Power pin to the Ground pin. You should see 400 ohms or so. What do you measure? 330ohm

3) Leave the CDI unplugged. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 100 volt scale. Measure the voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin to the ground pin while cranking the engine. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC while the engine is cranking. What do you measure? 50.1

.203-.206

A) Leave the CDI unplugged. In the CDI wiring connector measure the resistance of the Ignition Coil pin to the ground pin. You should measure less than 1 ohm (but not zero ohms). What do you measure?on 2k scale .117

Caution: There should be moderately high voltage spikes on this wire. Make sure your fingers are not part of the circuitry. Don't touch the probe lead tips while doing this test. 0

which should be the cdi causing no spark.

correct?
thanks

Old 01-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Electrical Expert

Once again my comments in clue...

heres results with new meter i did buy this one
AutoZone.com | Page Not Found

[I couldn't find any detailed spec's on this meter. I think a good ordinary meter could also measure everything this one does except dwell and RPM's. Dwell is irrelavent on a CDI ignition system, and I'm curious about how it measures RPM. Will it measure right on a single cylinder "wasted spark" ignition system? Or will it read twice the RPM? It would still be useful as long as you know to divide the RPMs by 2]

1) Unplug the CDI. In the wiring connector measure the resistance of the AC Ignition Power pin to the Ground pin. You should see 400 ohms or so. What do you measure? 330ohm

3) Leave the CDI unplugged. Set your meter to measure AC volts on the 100 volt scale. Measure the voltage on the AC Ignition Power pin to the ground pin while cranking the engine. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC while the engine is cranking. What do you measure? 50.1

.203-.206

A) Leave the CDI unplugged. In the CDI wiring connector measure the resistance of the Ignition Coil pin to the ground pin. You should measure less than 1 ohm (but not zero ohms). What do you measure?on 2k scale .117 [.117 K ohms equals 117 ohms which is exactly what you measured for the trigger pin. Note these two pins are right across from each other, and mirror images of each other when you flip over the connector to look at it. I'm suspecting you measured you trigger pin again instead of your coil pin. 117 ohms (0.117K Ohms) is way wrong for the ignition coil primary resistance.]

Caution: There should be moderately high voltage spikes on this wire. Make sure your fingers are not part of the circuitry. Don't touch the probe lead tips while doing this test. 0
[Zero volts is wrong. Either your CDI is not getting triggered, or the CDI is bad, or your measuring the wrong pin. Your trigger voltage is reading 0.203 volts AC. That should be enough the trigger the CDI, so check to make sure your measurements on the trigger pin and CDI output pin are correct, then it's looking like a bad CDI. ]

which should be the cdi causing no spark.

correct? [That would be the first thing I would change based on the readings you've presented so far.]
thanks

Old 01-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

changed the cdi and now theres a huge fat spark and it runs

thanks !!!

Quick Reply: another no spark chinese quad