1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

linhai 300 atv

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lynn, here's a shot in the dark: do you reckon, seeing how he said it went through a flood, that there are some components around the stator, magnet, pick up area that could have surface rust thus inhibiting any "signal"? would a thorough cleaning with an aerosal solvent and emery cloth help out? . just thinking out loud.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default linhai 300

Originally Posted by Jaster94
Lynn, here's a shot in the dark: do you reckon, seeing how he said it went through a flood, that there are some components around the stator, magnet, pick up area that could have surface rust thus inhibiting any "signal"? would a thorough cleaning with an aerosal solvent and emery cloth help out? . just thinking out loud.
Hi lynn and jaster I went and picked up atv today from dealer that was working on it and could not figure it out, so I have it in my garage now so I can look at wirecolors and etc. I found wiring diagram for this machine so I will be working on it sunday. Thanks Tim

Old 02-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lin/yam
Lynn, Hi I will have to get the atv back at my house and I will let you know how many wires and what color and yes I have a meter and I believe I got the part at buyatvsonline cdi#10 is the part number Thanks again Tim
I did look at the CDI #10 it looks like the one that popped up in my search, though the picture wasn't as clear and it was for a scooter. At least I know it isn't the generic everyday CDI available everywhere. Yikes that CDI is expensive. There's a lot to be said for having generic quads. I've never paid over $9 for a CDI.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Electrical Expert

Hi lynn and jaster I went and picked up atv today from dealer that was working on it and could not figure it out, so I have it in my garage now so I can look at wirecolors and etc. I found wiring diagram for this machine so I will be working on it sunday. Thanks Tim
Take your time. I'll be watching this thread whenever you get around to it. Is the wiring diagram in machine readable format? Is there any way you can send it to me? Just in case you can I will send my email address via private message in a few minutes.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by Jaster94
I think your idea is really good. It could very well be caused by magnetic debris in the trigger pickup coil area. This would keep a trigger signal from happening. But first I would measure the trigger signal while cranking. But before that we need to find the trigger signal wire(s)...

Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
I think your idea is really good. It could very well be caused by magnetic debris in the trigger pickup coil area. This would keep a trigger signal from happening. But first I would measure the trigger signal while cranking. But before that we need to find the trigger signal wire(s)...
Lynn I cannot find a flow chart to go by when checking these wires on linhai 300 mountaineer I have 3 big yellow wires and yellow and blue out of stator but dont have clue what they need to be, also 5 wires to cdi box I have looked online for repair manual and maybe flowchart for diagnosis. Thanks,Tim

Old 02-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Electrical Expert

Lynn I cannot find a flow chart to go by when checking these wires on linhai 300 mountaineer I have 3 big yellow wires and yellow and blue out of stator but dont have clue what they need to be, also 5 wires to cdi box I have looked online for repair manual and maybe flowchart for diagnosis. Thanks,Tim
Again, what are the colors of the five wires to the CDI? This may seem like trivial information to you, but it is really critical information to me. Without clear, accurate, and complete data I can't help you . Once I get this info I may have to ask about more wire colors on other devices. What I'm trying to do is piece together your wiring diagram from what you tell me. If I had a accurate wiring diagram this would not be necessary. But I don't, so this is the only course we have at the moment...

Your three big yellow wires are certainly the battery charge windings that go to your regulator. The regulator rectifies the AC into DC, and regulates the DC to keep the battery charged up. Fine, but this has nothing to do with your "no spark" problem, so ignore this for now. Later if your quad is up and running but your battery goes dead over time, then we can revisit these wires as required.

The "yellow and blue" wire is probably the timing trigger wire to the CDI, but to verify this (again) I need to know the colors of the wires at your CDI, which you have not provided yet...

Are you sure there are no other wires coming out of your stator? If there is I need to know. If not (and you're sure), then that indicates your CDI is DC powered (an important clue to how your quad is wired and how it works...).

Old 02-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Again, what are the colors of the five wires to the CDI? This may seem like trivial information to you, but it is really critical information to me. Without clear, accurate, and complete data I can't help you . Once I get this info I may have to ask about more wire colors on other devices. What I'm trying to do is piece together your wiring diagram from what you tell me. If I had a accurate wiring diagram this would not be necessary. But I don't, so this is the only course we have at the moment...

Your three big yellow wires are certainly the battery charge windings that go to your regulator. The regulator rectifies the AC into DC, and regulates the DC to keep the battery charged up. Fine, but this has nothing to do with your "no spark" problem, so ignore this for now. Later if your quad is up and running but your battery goes dead over time, then we can revisit these wires as required.

The "yellow and blue" wire is probably the timing trigger wire to the CDI, but to verify this (again) I need to know the colors of the wires at your CDI, which you have not provided yet...

Are you sure there are no other wires coming out of your stator? If there is I need to know. If not (and you're sure), then that indicates your CDI is DC powered (an important clue to how your quad is wired and how it works...).
Lynn yes that is all the wires coming from stator. wires going to cdi are yellow with black stripe,pink,green,blue with white stripe,black with pink stripe. Thanks,Tim

Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Electrical Expert

So you have from the stator three yellows (3 phase battery charge windings) and a yellow/blue wire. The yellow blue must be the timing trigger wire. Verify this by disconnecting this wire from the wiring harness and us a meter to measure the resistance of this wire to engine ground looking into the stator (i.e. looking into the engine). What resistance do you measure?

The trigger wire needs to get to the CDI. On most quads this goes directly through the wire harness, but notice on your quad you have a yellow/blue wire entering the wire harness, but there is no yellow/blue wire coming out of the wire harness at the CDI. Hmmm...

You need to go into detective mode... Where does that yellow/blue wire that enters the harness come out? Look at every connector, everywhere on your quad. It has to come out somewhere and (obviously) it will still be the same color wire. There may be more than one place.. Where do you find wiring harness wires that are yellow/blue? Find them all and report what devices it (they) connect to... Be particularly vigilant with kill switches. Disconnecting/connecting the stator trigger signal from/to the CDI is a valid way kill/enable spark overall (sometimes along with other methods).

Unplug your CDI with the ignition switch off, and all kill switches in the "run" position. Use a meter to measure the resistance of all of the CDI wires to ground looking into the wire harness. Use the lowest resistance scale you can without overscaling (i.e. reading OL, infinite ohms, or the same thing you get when the leads are not connected together). WHat do you get for all five wires?

Switch to DC volts on the 20 volt DC scale. Leave the CDI unplugged. Turn on the ignition switch and measure the DC voltage on all five CDI wires in the wiring harness. Is there any wire that measures 12 volts DC? You should. What is the color of that wire?

Once again, what we are doing is figuring out how your quad is wired since we don't have a wiring diagram. The resistance tests will help determine which wire has what function, and the voltage tests will find the DC power wire to the CDI.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default linhai 300

So you have from the stator three yellows (3 phase battery charge windings) and a yellow/blue wire. The yellow blue must be the timing trigger wire. Verify this by disconnecting this wire from the wiring harness and us a meter to measure the resistance of this wire to engine ground looking into the stator (i.e. looking into the engine). What resistance do you measure?

The trigger wire needs to get to the CDI. On most quads this goes directly through the wire harness, but notice on your quad you have a yellow/blue wire entering the wire harness, but there is no yellow/blue wire coming out of the wire harness at the CDI. Hmmm...

You need to go into detective mode... Where does that yellow/blue wire that enters the harness come out? Look at every connector, everywhere on your quad. It has to come out somewhere and (obviously) it will still be the same color wire. There may be more than one place.. Where do you find wiring harness wires that are yellow/blue? Find them all and report what devices it (they) connect to... Be particularly vigilant with kill switches. Disconnecting/connecting the stator trigger signal from/to the CDI is a valid way kill/enable spark overall (sometimes along with other methods).

Unplug your CDI with the ignition switch off, and all kill switches in the "run" position. Use a meter to measure the resistance of all of the CDI wires to ground looking into the wire harness. Use the lowest resistance scale you can without overscaling (i.e. reading OL, infinite ohms, or the same thing you get when the leads are not connected together). WHat do you get for all five wires?

Switch to DC volts on the 20 volt DC scale. Leave the CDI unplugged. Turn on the ignition switch and measure the DC voltage on all five CDI wires in the wiring harness. Is there any wire that measures 12 volts DC? You should. What is the color of that wire?

Once again, what we are doing is figuring out how your quad is wired since we don't have a wiring diagram. The resistance tests will help determine which wire has what function, and the voltage tests will find the DC power wire to the CDI.
Lynn ,I miss typed about wires coming out of stator 3 big yellow and 1 little blue wire and 1 little yellow. I will be checking with meter today Thanks again for all your help and I will keep you posted, Tim

Quick Reply: linhai 300 atv