1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Redcat 110

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat 110

was gave to me and i did a little work,got it running good and was gonna sell to someone with a kid and make a few $$,but this dang thing darts all over the road unless u are on smooth ground and i dont want to sell it to someone and see their kid get hurt...anybody else had this issue ?? what can i do to help?? i thought it was because the thing is so narrow and someone told me to get wheel spacers but have read lots of reviews against wheel spacers sayin it creates more of the problem???please shoot some thoughts my way..

Old 03-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check for too much slack in the front wheel bearings. check for slackness inthe tie rods. look at the wheel's castle nut and make sure it has a cotter pin to lock in the wheel bearings. make sure the entire handlebar assembly, the downtube, and the entire steering linkages are within spec. tie rod ends and other items may be loose. just check it out. i presume when you said it darts all over the place it acts as if the front end is loose and sloppy. those would be things i would check out.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

yea i have and its all pretty tight..nt really that bad at all..from what ive read they are that way..

Old 03-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well, you can govern the throttle WAY DOWN and limit speed. other than that, i can't think of anything else except the physical parts. sorry.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks man gonna do some more research..

Old 03-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Also make sure you don't have too much front wheel toe in. When you stand back a good distance and look at the quad front wheels when steered straight ahead, make sure the wheels are both pointing straight ahead. If they each are pointing in at the front toward the center of the quad (pigeon toed in other words) then that will cause dynamic instability at speed. Suppose the wheels are like this (exagerated of course):

/ \ <=- front wheels

| | <=- back wheels

When going absolutely straight everything is stable because the left and right misalignment forces cancel. But even a slight deviation to the left (for example) causes the weight to shift to the right wheel a bit, causing it to have more steering effect than the now lighter left wheel. That causes the quad to veer more to the left, increasing the weight shift to the right wheel, causing more left veer, etc...

The operator now veering wildly to the left yanks the handlebars to the right, and the process reverses completely. The quad starts to veer wildly to the right... On it goes back and forth...

The faster you go the more pronounced this dynamic instability will be.

One other thing I had happen to my quad was the rubber inserts in the front shock absorber mounting eyes had disintegrated over time. At rest under the weight of the quad everything seemed tight and normal. I couldn't see any problem. But at speed as the quad became lightly loaded at the top of a suspension bounce, the wheels started to flop around inside the very loose shock eyes, and then landed in some random position based on which way it had flipped or flopped during the bounce. When looking for loose steering be sure to jack up the front of the quad so the wheels are dangling. Look for looseness there too... In my case I machined some new nylon inserts to replace the disintegated rubber shocks eyes. It made a huge difference in handling.

Jaster94's comments are very relevant, and more often the cause of unstable steering than my observations above. I would look into what he says first before looking at my possible, but less common causes . I'm just appending some more possibilities...

Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

funny you say that cause yesterday eve im checking everything out again and decide to what the heck,adjust the toe out a little....and it did seem to help a bunch so i wil prob play wit that some more before trying get rid of it...THANKS TO ALL OF U THAT REPLIED TO MY THREAD..