1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Coolster 110cc Mountopz, couple questions..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolster 110cc Mountopz, couple questions..

Just purchased a one of these ATV's I bought it new and built it myself. After reading on here I think I may have made some mistakes.

First, I never changed the oil that came in it. I have only driven it for about an hour mostly under 1/2 throttle. I did notice when going past 1/2 throttle it vibrated pretty bad.

Second day when starting it it made an awful popping or clacking noise for the first few seconds when giving it a little gas then it seemed to sound normal. Hopefully I have not screwed it up. I plan on changing the oil in it. Any advice or opinions on if I screwed it up the engine??

Old 04-25-2012, 03:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyRobi
Just purchased a one of these ATV's I bought it new and built it myself. After reading on here I think I may have made some mistakes.

First, I never changed the oil that came in it. I have only driven it for about an hour mostly under 1/2 throttle. I did notice when going past 1/2 throttle it vibrated pretty bad.

Second day when starting it it made an awful popping or clacking noise for the first few seconds when giving it a little gas then it seemed to sound normal. Hopefully I have not screwed it up. I plan on changing the oil in it. Any advice or opinions on if I screwed it up the engine??
i think you'll be fine. inspect the drain plug for shavings and smell the oil and look at it for obvious reasons. then put some quality oil in it. run that oil 20 hrs, then change it again. each time, inspect the drain plug for shavings and the oil for heat damage and smell. those two items can tell you a lot about what the engine is going through. although, you can send the oil off for analysis.. then you can probably go longer between oil changes or whatever is recommended.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Range Rover

I have one I bought for my son and I've had a few minor electrical problems. No big deal it still starts and runs just fine. The one thing I did do though was move The air intake to The front rack bc The factory placement, on The bottom in front of The engine, clogged and killed it everytime he rode. Other than that no issues great for him around The house. Not so much for trail riding though mainly cause of very low clearance.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Jaster94
i think you'll be fine. inspect the drain plug for shavings and smell the oil and look at it for obvious reasons. then put some quality oil in it. run that oil 20 hrs, then change it again. each time, inspect the drain plug for shavings and the oil for heat damage and smell. those two items can tell you a lot about what the engine is going through. although, you can send the oil off for analysis.. then you can probably go longer between oil changes or whatever is recommended.
Wiping sweat from brow! All is good! Got the oil changed and test drove it, much smoother. Lesson learned, thank good it was a free lesson

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by cbrandon
I have one I bought for my son and I've had a few minor electrical problems. No big deal it still starts and runs just fine. The one thing I did do though was move The air intake to The front rack bc The factory placement, on The bottom in front of The engine, clogged and killed it everytime he rode. Other than that no issues great for him around The house. Not so much for trail riding though mainly cause of very low clearance.
I would like to see a pic of how a did that.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

glad to be of assistance! glad you're happy with it! and happy you got it going again. don't be a stranger on the forum. plenty to read and learn from that'll help you in the future on any other items that may occur. hopefully, she'll stay running for a long, long time. but if the machine has a malfunction, the forum will still be here for you!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by HeyRobi
I would like to see a pic of how a did that.
I will try and post some this weekend so you can see it.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks very much!