1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Idle speed keeps changing after riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 06:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle speed keeps changing after riding

Hi,
I've got a used 110cc chinese atv.
The carb bowl seal was leaking so I removed the carbs and did a clean of the internals of the entire unit. I replaced the carb bowl screws with longer ones with same threading and put in nuts on the end of the screws. I did this because i didn't want to strip the threads of the carb body as I felt the original screws was not holding tight enough. So everything was put back the way it came. Reseat the carb bowl seal.

After riding for about 30mins the atv begins to idle below 1400rpm from the usual 1600. (I do have a digital rpm meter from ebay.) It then shuts off. Restarted and had to adjust the idle screw a full turn to bring it back to 1600. Ride again and then the speed is back up to 2200 and the atv begins to move by itself. I lower the rpm to 1600 with a full turn of the idle screw and ride again and it goes below 1400 and then shuts off.

It seem that the rpm changes for itself after riding. I'm used to the idle speed adjustments and know the feel of it . When it shuts itself after going below 1400 rpm, I have to re-adjust the screw almost a full turn to get back at 1600. Normally a 1/4 to 1/2max turn is suppose to get it back to 1600. At a full turn it should really be idling about 2200. If I ride it at this point with the idle set at 1600 the rpm goes to 2200 for itself. At 2200 and I have to do a full turn to go back to 1600. If I ride it again it will go below 1400 and then idle rough and want to shut off. The true representation of the idle only takes place when you ride it.

It was not doing this before I opened up the carb. I did check the throttle cable from the carb for sticking but it moves smoothly. I don't think the idle screw would move for itself. This problem does not happen if I raise the back wheels while throttling. It only happens after riding, about 25'.
I haven't gotten a chance to re-open the carb yet so I'm looking for some suggestion.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

get the quad to start idling, spray carb cleaner around the carb, bowl, intake area and see if it raises the idle. we're looking for vacuum leaks here. sounds like your slide is installed correctly. when you cleaned the carb, you did remove the jets and cleaned them separately, correct?

Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did remove and inspect the slide. All jets were removed and everything looked clean so I assembled without using any carb cleaner. I didn't remove the idle or the air mix screw as that setting was working well for me. I'll remove the carb and do a full clean out and inspect. I'll also remove the idle and the air/mix and do a complete spray with carb cleaner. I'm thinking an air leak also.