1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

50 cc Regulator trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50 cc Regulator trouble

Hello everyone. First off thanks for the great forum. Wish I would have found it before I started working. Thanks to you I finally figured out what I am dealing with. I got laid at my feet a Chinese 50 that would not spark. Bypassed the remote tether and she fired up. I also found the charging coil on the stator literally burnt. I took a chance on an ebay one and got the regulator cause it was cheap, not like what I am accustomed to with Japanese brands. After fixing some wires that were cut/spliced, I installed the new stator and after a minute the battery was dead. Again, burnt stator. After reading a lot, I believe whoever was in this before me installed the wrong regulator and I also got the wrong one. Voltage on charging coil is now 8, 8 and 1 VAC when at idle. Is this adequate for a 50? Resistance is 0.2 yellow to white so I think its done. I will spring for another stator but where is my best bet on obtaining the correct regulator. Engine is an E22 139FMB. Still don't know the maker of the quad. Thanks for the help and the site.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome, can you post a picture of the quad in your album under your profile? you probably don't have enough posts to do one in a thread for now, so under your profile, build an album of your 50cc. does it have a metal ID tag at the grab handle up front? Lynn will want to know how many pins in the CDI.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I can't seem to get the picture on here yet but I do have a 5 pin cdi and the ground wire on the charging coil. And there is no id tag on the machine. I can't thank this forum enough for knowing the little I do know about the make of this quad.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

First things first. Check your fuse coming off the battery. I suspect you either don't have one, or the ampere rating is way too high.

You *****must***** have a fuse in line with the battery feeding everything thing other than the big heavy gauge wires feeding the starter motor through the starter solenoid.

And this value of this fuse should be 7 amps.

Don't compromise here. Even these little quad batteries can start a fire in seconds if a dead short occurs in the wiring. You could burn down your house, or a forest. It is not worth the risk.

Burning up a stator battery charging coil, and discharging a fully charged battery in one minute, takes a butt load of current - much more than any reasonable in line fuse would allow.

You need to start here... . Install a Fuse first. You can buy in line fuses at any autoparts store.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:59 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by recker
....I also found the charging coil on the stator literally burnt. I took a chance on an ebay one and got the regulator cause it was cheap, not like what I am accustomed to with Japanese brands. After fixing some wires that were cut/spliced, I installed the new stator and after a minute the battery was dead. Again, burnt stator.....
Almost always when a stator charging coil overheats *and* drains the battery at the same time then the regulator is at fault. But verify this:

Make sure your main fuse is 7 amps. Turn on the ignition switch. Make sure the main fuse doesn't blow. If it does, then disconnect the regulator. If it stops blowing the fuse then your regulator is bad.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well after some more testing it is definitely the regulator. There was no fuse, someone had just hot wired it. After installing a holder it will pop fuses until the reg is unhooked. Now the problem is finding the right one. The ebay special that "fits most" is not it. Any suggestions as to where to find one. I can't even try to match the style as the one that was on it had already been replaced with the wrong one hence the burnt stator.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

We really need to first find out what type of bike were dealing with... I too just ordered a regulator that I'm not sure will work... looks the same but as lynn had posted once he broke them apart and even though they look the same and plug in fine... there def not the same guts.. take a picture of the quad upload to a photohosting site just google free photohosing and post the link... is it a loncin motor?

Old 06-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Took a couple of pics. Still don't know the brand but it has the zong shen engine. The plug in on the regulator is the same shape but the harness side actually has the locking clip on the opposite side. It was broken off and someone just mashed them together. I hope the pictures are viewable. Still figuring this file sharing out.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_0810.jpg
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/...ker3/photo.jpg

Old 06-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Electrical Expert

Do you know what your stator lookes like? How many coils does it have inside? You have to remove the flywheel to see this.

The most common stator is the coil the two coil. If it were me and I had to guess, I would buy 1 each of both of the two four pin regulators that look identical other than the color of the heatsink. If one doesn't work then try the other. At least take solice in the fact that you aren't having a name brand regulator wwhich would be a *lot* more expensive, and still come with no guarantee...

ATV Regulator | Four Wheeler Regulator | Quad Regulator

No guarantees, this is a tough problem. I'm suggeting this based on the following:

1) You most likely have a common stator design.
2) Motorparts Max want to maintain their reputation and sells regulators that fit the most common quads out there.
3) Both of those are so cheap that it doesn't seem a big risk to try it.
4) My experince buying regulators on eBay has been abysmal, so I can't recommend that path.

There may be other vendors out there too. I really don't have any inside knowledge.

See this post for some info on two coil stators. The most common is the "half wave" style.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...to-stator.html

Last edited by LynnEdwards; 06-02-2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Talking

Thanks to all for the feedback. This forum has brought me up to speed with
these quads and is a huge asset.