1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

bushan 200cc lc

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bushan 200cc lc

I picked up a 200cc Bushan Lc quad. It had starting issues so brought it home and pulled starter looked good ( teeth ) turns over lot of torq, checked all other gears, ring gear floater gear, all good ! bought new battery and I am getting a arcking spark when hooking up new battery. Double checked polarities its right, Green ground and Red to positive starts up runs great But after about 10-20 minutes later it wont restart battery is drained and the cooling fan barely turns I need some help please ? Thank you

Old 06-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

charge the battery, start the quad. use your multimeter/ohmmeter to check the voltage on your battery at idle, 1/2 rev, and 3/4 throttle. what are the readings? this can tell you if the stator is charging i believe. now, your cooling fan, you're gonna have to find the wires and measure the voltage going to the fan OR, you're losing a fan bearing slowing it down. i don't think that fan is a variable speed fan. sounds like a bearing loss or insufficient voltage to run the fan.
please explain the arcing of the terminals in more detail please.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default bashan 200 lc

I have charged the battery with a trickle charger for a day and half , hooked up ground and when I hook up positive it archs like the key is on or lights are on something is putting a drain on it ? But the key is not on there is no lights that come on and when i do turn the key on the fan is hooked up to run when key is on ? I have not had a chance to check it out with a ohm or volt meter yet . Thank you, and will post as soon as i get some readings.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dsm90
I have charged the battery with a trickle charger for a day and half , hooked up ground and when I hook up positive it archs like the key is on or lights are on something is putting a drain on it ? But the key is not on there is no lights that come on and when i do turn the key on the fan is hooked up to run when key is on ? I have not had a chance to check it out with a ohm or volt meter yet . Thank you, and will post as soon as i get some readings.
Unplug your voltage regulator. See if the drain stops. I suspect it will, and this indicates that your regulator is bad.

And what about your main fuse? To drain a fully charged 9 amp-hour battery (I'm guessing on the amp-hour value - but that is a reasonable guess) in twenty minutes would require a constant load of 27 amps. No reasonable fuse should allow that without blowing. What value fuse do you have installed?

The other possibility is that your battery is not 9 amp-hours, is not new, is not fully charged, or it took longer than 20 minutes to drain. But still, all indicators are pointing at your regulator.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default bashan 200 lc

I did check to see if I had a arch with unpluging voltage reg and I do not have any arch at the battery, didnt try starting yet? I was told the battery is only a 7amp battery and I bought it new two weeks ago.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your inline fuse on the hot wire/red wire/positive wire....what size fuse is it? 5 amp? 7 amp? does it even have an inline fuse?