1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

110cc Pocket Bike Battery Not Charging

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110cc Pocket Bike Battery Not Charging

Hey just wondering if someone could help me out,

I've fully charged my brand new battery, It starts the pocket bike and I drive to my buddy's place, but then won't have enough power to turn the starter over to get home, so I end up jumping it off of their truck.

I have replaced the stator, cdi, and regulator already.
No fuses are blown.
It is a 110cc Automatic engine.

I dont know what else the problem could be. I'm done with this crappy chinese wiring already.

Thanks, Reece.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How long (in minutes) is the drive to your buddy's place? Do you have a head light on the pocket bike? Was it on during this drive?

A fully charged good battery should be able to run the quad all day with a dozen starts as long as you aren't running headlights - even of your battery charging system isn't charging the battery at all.

So we're down to the battery being bad (won't hold a charge), or something is actively draining the battery while you're riding.

You said there are no fuses blown (implying that you have more than one?) I would be very surprised if you had more than one. What is the value of that fuse? The reason I ask is that you have a new battery that discharges quickly (you're going to tell me "how quickly" in minutes as asked above). If your battery is going dead in less than an hour then I have to wonder why your fuse isn't blowing, since draining a battery that quickly takes a *lot* of current - a lot more than a fuse should allow without blowing.

Let's start with these questions and then branch out from there. You're going to need to get a meter at the ready...

Old 06-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 15 minutes to get there, no headlight is on, all I have is a voltage gauge which was turned on. And sorry, there's only one fuse from the regulator to the (+) on the battery. I stay for around 3 hours then go to leave. I just exchanged my new battery for another one and it seems to last now. The voltage while Idling is around 14.5 volts, 13-16 volts at high idle, and 13.2 while not running.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by reece9944
...I just exchanged my new battery for another one and it seems to last now. The voltage while Idling is around 14.5 volts, 13-16 volts at high idle, and 13.2 while not running.
So the old bad battery was discharging itself - that explains why the fuse didn't blow.

I don't like the 16 volts at high idle. That is *way* too high. Your new battery life will be compromised if you are always charging at that rate. But I also have to wonder if your meter is bad. 13.2 volts at the battery terminals when the engine isn't running is also too high. Batteries not being charged by a running engine, or a charger, just don't read that high. But that high reading isn't high enough to explain the overcharging voltage that you measured.

Do you still have your old regulator? I would repeat the tests, and then repeat them again with the old regulator and report back the results. Do you have access to another meter? If so, I would try that too.

Something isn't good here, and I don't know at this point if it is measurement error, a bad meter, or a bad charging system.