1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

250cc buggy no spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

But your coil is reading 'open' (what you call 'no reading'), and your trigger winding in the stator reads open, and the trigger winding on you other quad in another post reads open, and the AC ignition power on that other quads reads open too . That's too many 'open's. A simpler and more logical explanation is that your doing something wrong.

And then on step six you also got "no reading". But this can't be an open circuit because you are supposed to be measuring AC volts. So what does "no reading" mean in this case? There is no such thing as "no reading" on a meter, unless you forgot to turn the meter on, or the batteries have been removed. Other than that the meter says something. Please avoid all this confusion and report exactly what the meter says, and also what scale you are on.

I'm wondering if you're trying to measure 500 ohms on the 200 ohm scale (or something like that). If the maximum resistance that the meter can measure on the 200 ohm scale is 200 ohms, then 500 ohms will read open. That would be like trying measure a 20 pound sack of potatoes on a postage meter than can only measure 2 pounds maximum. Its going to peg the meter. Thats why I need you to give me more information so I can figure out what's going on...

Old 06-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Retested and getting the same readings, the only thing that makes sence is you are giving me the wrong pin positions on my cdi because i have tested this thing like 10 times and keep getting the same readings

Old 06-20-2012, 12:23 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by stevedj
Retested and getting the same readings, the only thing that makes sence is you are giving me the wrong pin positions on my cdi because i have tested this thing like 10 times and keep getting the same readings
I detect frustration, and I hope that you can step back reflect a bit . Try to understand how I see this problem based on what you have written. You say that you have:

"tested this thing ten like times and keep getting the same readings"....

And yet... Go back and read what you have posted: Every single set of values you have posted are different... Not one of them is the same. So try and look at it from my perspective. You say you get the same readings, yet I have no idea what those readings are. Do you see my point? I need accurate data. Without it I can't possibly know what's going on.

Look at your other post (for the other quad). Same thing. Data sets don't agree from post to post, but the last one you posted today actually makes some sense. I think we are getting somewhere on that post.

I'm being a bit rough I know. I'm certainly not trying to cheese you off. I'm trying to help. I'm trying to get you to take this measurement stuff seriously, and get you to objectively analyze your own posts to make sure they are conveying all the information that you have gathered.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took the stator out to look at it and on the back of the pickup it looks like 2 small holes melted into it. retested the trigger pin at the pickup to make sure there wasnt an open wire and still nothing

Old 06-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Electrical Expert

Your picture didn't show. Looking at the link source code it is pointing to a location on your hard drive which won't work. The picture needs to be uploaded someplace that can be accessed by the internet at large. The internet at large cannot see your hard disk (a very good thing, no?).There are free hosting sites like photobucket.com that you can use. Once you get to some number of posts (maybe 20?) you are allowed upload to this forum's site. Or you can upload pictures to your profile area.

It does sound like your stator is bad. I'm still concerned with the other measurements around your ignition coil. These don't make sense yet. I know that your quad was running when it failed, but this still doesn't sound right. Once you get the new stator in let's revisit this and see if we can get it to make some sense...

Old 06-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok picture is posted in my album. not sure when i will get the stator but i will let you know when i do

Old 04-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Installed new pickup, still no spark. Put on new cdi and it sparked 3 times and stopped. Seems like there might be a short somewhere so im going to rewire it and get another cdi

Old 04-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tested ground at the coil and there was none. i traced the wire and found it was broken inside the casing. put a new wire on it, installed old cdi and it fired right up.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mr. Edwards

I have the same problem, no spark on my 250 Sahara and I also have a DC CDI.

My readings are as follows:
1. INFINITE
2. 1.7 ohms
3. 0.4 ohm
4. 12.38V
5. 105 ohms
6. 0.34V
7. varies from 0 to as much as 11V AC

What are your thoughts on where to start troubleshooting this one?

Regards
Sean