1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

gio t3 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the test with the engine idling , half throttle and full throttle and it is all reading 12.8-12.9 at the battery terminals so from what i have read my battery isn't getting charged wail I'm riding so what is the next step from there to determin this problem ? don't want to go buy another battery lol

Old 07-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Unplug the regulator with the ignition switch off. Look at the wiring harness colors at the regulator connector. If you have yellow and white wires then measure the resistance between these wires on the 20 ohm scale. What do you measure? Then measure the resistance of each of these wires to ground (the negative battery terminal is a good place). WHat do you measure on each wire?

If you don't have yellow and white wires, then what are the colors of the wires on your regulator connector?

The above ohms tests will determine what kind of charging system you have. Then we measure the stator output voltage at idle. The charging system consists of the stator, the regulator, and the wiring, so the first step is to measure the stator output voltage once we know what to expect based on the above tests.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks lynn I read your post about that test on another thread but was a lil confused so i decided just to go buy a new rectifier they were only $20 and if that wasn't it move on to the stator but now after putting in the new rectifier I am getting 14.1-14.2 when the quad is running so i am glad it was the cheaper of the 2 parts lol. now i just need to get a few odds and ends like a better air filter mine fell apart when i was on the trails today lol

Old 07-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad it's working...

Old 07-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK now for a new problem. So I went out for a ride last weekend and it was running fine after a hour or so i noticed it was acting up a lil bit so i took a look and noticed my air filter side fell off. patched it with a spare under shirt and it seamed to work fine i went out the next day and it ran good few hours and then acted up again it seams like it's running out of gas but I have a full tank. I can get it to start but it looses power right after and it dies. I did clean out the carb it didn't seem to dirty. I did notice that the spark plug was really black so I am going to adjust the carb but would that be causing this problem or does it seem more like a carb problem

Old 07-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

Try your gas cap. If your tank isn't venting properly as it uses fuel it will create a vacuum when fuel leaves but air doesn't get back in.

Just a long shot.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I took the spark plug out and I am not getting a spark so i am going in tomorrow and get a new coil and spark plug for it I hope this is all that's left wrong with it. I have replaced cdi,rectifier, starter solenoid, battery, air filter, carb, throttle, and now coil and spark plug all i have left is the engine lol

Old 07-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by essadis420
So I took the spark plug out and I am not getting a spark so i am going in tomorrow and get a new coil and spark plug for it I hope this is all that's left wrong with it. I have replaced cdi,rectifier, starter solenoid, battery, air filter, carb, throttle, and now coil and spark plug all i have left is the engine lol

LOL

You forgot stator and pulse coil.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK so I just finished putting in the new coil and spark plug it did fire up for a a few secs and then died I am running out of ideas on how to get this thing running right.
the problem is its having troubles trying to get it to turn over and when it does start to run it dies shortly after it almost seems like its running out of gas. I can be pressing the throttle and it still putters down and then quits
If anyone wants i can post a video of what it sounds like when i try to get it going if it would help

Old 07-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Update:
cleaned out the fuel system gas tank, lines, new fuel filter, and cleaned the carb again. I can now get it to run almost every shot now but it doesn't sound right my buddy told me it is burning way to much fuel. when i ride it up and down the ally Its not reeving up and theirs like almost no power when you hit the throttle like its bogging out or something. there is black smoke coming out the tail pipe and the brand new spark plug is really black. I tried setting the pin but it is the same on all the notches.
My next plan is to put in the original carb since I cleaned it up all nice and see how it runs then if it gets better then it most likely the carb.
If it is the carb would the fact that its a 250cc performance carb be the reason for this happening since mine is only a 200cc would the 250cc carb be pumping to much gas????

Quick Reply: gio t3 wont start