1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Jianshe 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jianshe 400

high very new to this site, but I am after online handbook or user manual for the 400cc mountain lion. Just picked up a second hand one and know nothing abut them. As I am having trouble with the Auto gear box! I can select 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and down again without too much of a problem. I can even turn the switch and select reverse no problem. But unless I turn the engine off before selceting to go forward again even when stopped, the only way I can get her to go forward when reverse is selected is to reach down with my hand and yank the stupid gear lever up, can't do it using my foot just far too hard. But if the engine is turned off, but ign is on, she goes through the gear reverse as well no problem at all, so I am thinking what the hell is going on here, or am I just doing something wrong ?

I have checked the auto gear box oil scew thing at the top, stuck a crew driver down there only goes in about 1 inch before it hits something hard, and does not pick any oil up on the screw driver, so I am thinking the old girls oil is all but out or leaked out of the casing, So would I be right in saying this is more than likely the reason for it ? Also, what sort of oil do I get for the gear box on this thing as I don't have any hand book or manual for the mountain lion 400? Thanks people...

Old 08-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

had a guy look at it today, and he seems to think it could be the clutch which is the problem. but again, I am thinking, if this is the case, why don't I have a problem selcting any of the forward drive gears and reverse, except ( only) when I want to go from reverse to forward again. I would have thought, if it was the clutch, it would be playing up or giving trouble all the time. anyone got any ideas or thought on this one please!! ?

Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

go ahead and drain the gearbox oil and refill it. look at the drain plug for metal shavings. i am thinking that the oil level may just be low and the shifting fork is not sliding very well. i'm not real familiar with your model of quad though.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default gears problem!

Originally Posted by Jaster94
go ahead and drain the gearbox oil and refill it. look at the drain plug for metal shavings. i am thinking that the oil level may just be low and the shifting fork is not sliding very well. i'm not real familiar with your model of quad though.
Thanks for the reply, as this filler screw has no dipstick to it, I would presum I fill it to the top or untill it get to where the filler screw is, already put around 2.5 ltr's in it and it's still not a the top yet. can't check the correct amount to put as I don't have a hand book or manual with it.

Well I hope it's not the clutch!!!! I have just found out their around $550 to $600 OUCH thats hurts. talk about a crazy price, thats a third of the price I paid for the whole machine, just for the clutch...