1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

TANK 200CC Sport ATV

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TANK 200CC Sport ATV

I just finished rebuilding this unit last Sunday. I had replaced the piston head, gaskets, cylinder, carb and cylinder head with valves. Well as I finished it up, I was excited about refilling the fuel tank verifying all the connections and going for a ride. All that came to a hault when I turned the key, sat on the quad and opened the fuel line and it spun the starter, however it would not engage. I pulled the spark plug to make sure I had a spark and it did not. It is a brand new spark plug, the battery is fully charged, fresh fuel. Am I missing something?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Let's make sure I'm understanding this correctly... Your starter spins freely, but the engine doesn't turn?

If so, the first thing to check is whether you installed the battery backwards. If you do the starter engaging wiring will still work, but the starter will spin backwards. A backwards spinning starter will freewheel at the starter clutch and never engage the engine.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

The battery is in correctly. Made sure today when I verified the charge. Put it back in and tried to crank it. It is spinning. I think the problem is that I have no spark from the plug which I replaced today with a new one. No spark!

Old 07-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Electrical Expert

I guess I've been misunderstanding you. There is a clutch between the starter motor and the engine. If that clutch isn't "engaging" the starter motor will spin but the engine will not. That is what I thought you were describing.

I'm still not 100% clear. You responded that "it" is spinning . The engine? Or just the starter? What is *it*?

If the engine is actually turning, but just not starting, and you have no spark - then we need to know whether you CDI is AC powered or DC powered. I'm going to make the assumption that you have a six pin CDI. If not we will have to back track a bit...

Here is the procedure for determining which CDI you have. The procedure from here varies between AC and DC CDI's...

The 2 plug 6 wire CDIs come in two different designs. One is powered off 12 volts DC, and the other is powered off a moderately high voltage AC which comes from the stator. Unfortunately there is no reliable way to tell the difference between the two by just looking at them. To be sure you need to use a meter to find out which you have:

1) Unplug the CDI, and turn on the ignition. Do not crank the starter motor. Use a meter to measure the *DC* voltage on the pin labeled "AC ignition power" in the wiring harness to both ground pins in the 4 pin CDI connector. If you measure 12 volts DC then you have a DC powered CDI.

2) If you don't measure 12 volts DC on the ignition power pin, then switch the meter over to measure AC volts on the 200 volt scale. While cranking the starter motor, measure the AC voltage on the "AC Ignition Power" pin to the the Ground pin. You should see 40 to 80 volts AC. If you measure AC voltage when the starter is turning then you have an AC powered CDI.

Using a meter is the only 100% reliable way to figure out if your CDI is AC or DC powered. But there are some clues you can use that are usually (but not always) correct:

A) DC CDIs tend to be a little larger than their AC powered counterpart. This is because the DC powered CDI needs a bunch more circuitry to convert the 12 volts DC to the moderately high voltage supply that all CDIs must have.

B) Most (but not all) DC powered quad ignition systems do not use the kill switch input pin. The CDI connector pin usually has no wire tied to it. AC powered quad ignition systems usually do use the kill switch input pin.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry to mislead you. Yes the starter is spinning. Let's start from the beginning. I purchased this unit from my brother in law several months ago. When I brought it home he said, "all it needs is a battery". . So I purchased a brand new battery equal to what was in the unit. As soon as i charged it up fully. I placed it in the holder and try to turn it over. It would not, someone from this forum mentioned I would need to remove the carb and clean it out. I purchased a gallon jug of carb cleaner. I let the pieces soak overnight in the cleaner. The next day, I removed them and let them dry out. After re-assembly, I noticed the smallest jet had some blockage. I tried some many different ways to remove said blockage and it would not come out. I drove to several local repair shops for atv's and they said good luck with the Chinese quads. One guy said that he would use a 3/16" drill bit and try to remove the blockage. I did that and it came out, maybe with a few little pieces of metal. I placed back back in the carb then put the unit back in place on the quad. As soon as i hit the start button it started and the rpm's were extremely high. I also noticed the exhaust pipe was glowing bright red. I believe these are signs of too much fuel. I tried to quickly adjust the carb screws for air and fuel and it was too late. I heard a thud it the unit stopped and would not restart. This is now where I started to use this forum . I received a couple of responses to remove the valve cover , the valve assembly and the cylinder. i did just that and noticed a hole in the top of the piston. Now we come to the part where i have replaced over the last few months the parts from above. Why would it now not spark? I wish i could attach pics to these posts so that you could see what happend and what I have accomplished.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you click, post reply, in the command box you'll see the paper clip symbol for adding attachments. on your computer you should store your pics in a certain folder, then after clicking the paperclip symbol, go to that folder, double click & upload that/those pics. if that still doesn't work for you, make an album under your profile. that's located bottom right hand side. we can go there to look.

so you've rebuilt the engine and now no spark.
red exhaust pipe means it is running too lean, excessive RPMs at start up could've been the result of excessive lean condition, throttle slide installed incorrectly, throttle cable stuck in the wide open position.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I have rebuilt with original parts. The battery is fully charged. I have fuel and no spark from the plug.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am not sure I am following the instructions for the CDI. If I disconnect the plugs how will it show any voltage?

Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

The first time I try to start my ATV, the starter spins and then stops. There is a part just to the left of the positive terminal of the battery
that clicks alot when I push the start button.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by kylel012
The first time I try to start my ATV, the starter spins and then stops. There is a part just to the left of the positive terminal of the battery
that clicks alot when I push the start button.
Let's start here since this is fundamental. I think you are describing the starter solenoid. Your starter motor draws a *lot* of current to spin up the engine and make it start. On your quad it might be a high as 50 amps. A switch that can handle switching 50 amps is big, and has to go "click". Your teeny little start button (or ignition switch, or whatever), cannot possibly pass this enormous current. Hence the starter solenoid: The solenoid has four connections: 2 big screw terminals (usually) which pass the enormous starter motor current, and two little actuating wires. When you apply 12 volts across the two little actuating wires (which comes through your little start button and a host of other circuitry), it drives a coil of wire that generates a magnetic field, which sucks down a steel plate, which shorts together the two big terminals together. This connects your battery directly across your starter motor, and makes it spin the engine.

But you see? The teeny start button switches just a few amps, which in turn switched tens of amps...

Cars have starter solenoids too... For exactly the same reason.

Solenoids that "click" but don't turn the starter motor usually indicate a discharged or faulty battery. Take a meter and measure the DC voltage right on the battery terminals *while you are attempting to start the quad - i.e.solenoid "clicked" *. What do you measure?

I'm going away for ten days. I won't be able to reply til I get back...

Quick Reply: TANK 200CC Sport ATV