1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

My review on Tao Tao 125cc w/reverse

Old 08-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My review on Tao Tao 125cc w/reverse

So I purchased this atv for my 3yr old no I'm not crazy. He is well advanced but I do keep the throttl control limited and watch his every move with my remote kill switch handy. So far this atv has done its job starts everytime and hauls A**** with me and him on it and I'm 180 plus him 30lbs. The frame looks fairly sturdy but don't expect no Japanese strength these machines are built for flat lands an minor off roading being though they have no low end power for climbing i wouldnt recommen ramp jumping either .THe suspension is rough but i dint mind it im not jumping nor is he. . Tires are crappy in my opinion and cant wait till they wear out so I can upgrade.The 125cc seems very durable/powerful and has tones of upgrade choices at low cost and lastly please check all your bolts an loc tight Major bolts before first ride and every other ride after that Check bolts and frame welds don't forget .So all in all I give the Chinese atv solid 8/10

My ungrades thus far
Oil cooler
Engine breather
Performance CDI
Performance coil
NGK plugs
25mm carb
Front sproket down 1
Rear sproket up 6

Old 09-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I'm not real sure if what I have is one for one with your ride but by the title its a ATA125D. It's only about a week old and has about 3 hours on it hauling by 10 year old grandson, and my wife doubling up with my 6 year old granddaughter. So far everything that 1stimer87 described seems to be holding up as he said. I've just gone through my first oil change, nut/bolt tightening session with her. The little bugger starts up right now, idles good, runs fine and the key fob that allows remote engine shutdown is needed for young ones.

I have the throttle all the way down and it still is plenty fast to get kids into trouble. Certainly agree about the gearing. I haven't sorted out where to get parts but the recommended one down on the counter shaft and 6 up on the rear sprocket sounds about right. As its geared right now it's faster than needed and it doesn't have enough grunt on hills.

Gotta look at the front brakes tomorrow. Complicated set up with one lever managing braking two different shoe brakes assemblies with cables. We'll see how that turns out.

If anyone has any suggestions for a go to web site for some of the upgrades I would appreciate it. The oil cooler, breather and gearing change are high up on the list. And maybe the smaller version of the same thing for my 3 to 6 year old grand kids.

And what the heck is the story about not being able to find schematics for the frame, components as well as the engine. Thanks for listening. Bill.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:45 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Manual or automatic? When we got ours the dealer recommended getting a manual unit as they have way more torque. 1st gear the little one can climb anything and probably pull the wheels off the ground if she could get the traction.
Look around for scrapped atvs of the same size. Some of the imports came with hydraulic front disk brakes. I picked up one for $50 and have the complete assemblies that will bolt right on

Old 09-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Let's see pics of the lil guy having fun.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Old 09-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

We have an automatic and it would have plenty of torque if it was geared a lower. When I first rode it the speed seemed about 4x what I needed for my 10 year old. Adjusting the throttle down 100% still gives the bike enough speed for him to lift the rear wheel off the ground on the turns. So no problem with speed and that's for certain. Just need a bit more torque is needed when my wife is riding my younger grand kids up hills. And the 125D is a pure gigglebox for my grandkids! They love it.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol

Automatics don't like to be throttled down that far. To me the throttle screw is useless as the carb loads up and u can't get enough throttle in it for more than one rider. I took ours out of both machines.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Cool! Thx.