1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

JCL 110cc wont go into/stay in gear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JCL 110cc wont go into/stay in gear?

I'll start off by making mention to the fact I really have browsed around this site, looked on Google and even called a Chinese ATV distributor to see if I could find some information about my ATV's problem. Hopefully you guys can help me out with this one.

The ATV is a 2010 JCL 110cc kids ATV. It has the automatic transmission, 1 forward, neutral, 1 reverse gear from what I can gather off the sticker on the side of the engine. I bought it off an acquaintance who claimed his kid outgrew it and preferred to ride on the larger family ATV with an adult in control. It had sat for some time and needed a few parts and battery. Picked it up for my son who just turned 7... his battery powered powerwheels was only so much fun and couldn't make it through the trails on my property.

Since the parts were cheap enough and it had been sitting around a while I ordered a stator, voltage regulator, starter, starter relay, CDI, battery, carb, air filter ngk spark plug, brakes and fuel lines/filter. I also rewired a bunch of wires that looked like they had been rubbing or that the factory solder looked less than quality.

After some headaches with the USPS I finally picked up my parts from the post office today. Spent some time this afternoon going through the bike swapping out all the new parts and changed the oil. Once it was all together it fired right up and ran perfectly... However once I attempted to take it for a little test ride I noticed a problem.

I can not for the life of me keep the unit in its forward gear. It will click like its going in and then do nothing (like neutral) or it will go into gear and then very shortly after pop right out of gear. It will shift into reverse perfectly fine and stay there no problem. It will find neutral fine as well with no issue. After fidgeting with it a while I was able to get it into forward gear and it actually stayed there for about 15-20 minutes of riding and not switching back to neutral or reverse. Once I stopped and put it into neutral it once again would not go into/stay in forward gear. As far as the obvious... I have already changed the position of the shifter pedal lever a few times to make sure it wasn't getting caught on the foot rests and had enough room to be properly depressed into each position.

Unfortunately I probably should have just bought a new version of this ATV. But with how fast my kids growing I know hes going to outgrow this 110cc in no time and was looking for a starter ATV that he could learn on and we didn't have to invest much into. This way in a year or two I can justify a bigger jap bike if he sticks with it and enjoys riding. Problem is its basically useless as it sits right now. If I am having the troubles I am having riding it around he's never going to be able to properly ride it or enjoy riding it. I really have a hard time justifying too much more money into this bike but my kids really disappointing because he has still not been able to ride his new toy.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated! I am quite technical savvy but have no real experience with these units or transmission components.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just hard to justify ordering a new motor for it when it runs soo well but on the flip side with them only being around $200-230 its hard to justify putting a lot of money into parts to fix this one (or attempt). I was hoping others have experienced this problem and there was a fix. Seems like its not that common?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i can only think of maybe,,,,a bent shifting fork on the cluster. kind of like if a kid, previous owner, got pissed off and jumped down hard on the shifter to force it into forward and it reacted but put the internal shifting fork in a bind and bent it a little. it shouldn't be too hard to pop the side off and take a look. at the centrifugal clutch to make sure it's ok.