1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Xtreme x49 Disabling the remote engine stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtreme x49 Disabling the remote engine stop

I have a Xtreme X49 Chinese Quad ATV, I have a copy of the wiring harness, does anyone know how to remove the Remote Engine Stop feature from the system.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know anththing specific on the Xtreme X49, but if it is a common generic chinese quad then it is probably the same as other common chinese quads.

By "remote engine stop" I'm assuming you mean the radio controlled key fob type shut off, right?

Below is a summary on these remote modules that I wrote a while ago. Look to see if you have that 9 pin connector in the wiring harness going to the remote. If you see that 9 pin connector that will suggest strongly that you have a generic remote module setup.
Here is a diagram showing how the generic remote module is wired up for 110cc (and many other) chinese quads using the 5 pin AC powered CDI.

Some history: This style remote module design has been around for decades. It was used originally on motorcycles and has since been cross applied to these small chinese quads. The diagram above shows the complete set of remote start/kill/alarm module functions as it was orignally designed. They provided not only the ability to kill the engine remotely, but also allowed remote starting of the quad regardless of whether the ignition switch was on or off. And there was an alarm that drove a siren and flashed the turn signal indicators.

As these modules became more and more targeted to quads they started to drop features that aren't really all that applicable. These small quads don't have turn signals, so that feature was the first to go. The alarm is annoying, and if you think about it, the ability to remotely start up a quad even when the ignition switch is off is kind of scary. So these feature are often left out too. As these features got dropped the remote modules still used the same 9 pin wiring harness connector, but they just left the wires for the unused features off.

Here is a link for a simple remote kill switch module offered by MotorPartsMax.com (they have the best documentation of all the ones I've seen for sale so far):

Note how it only uses 4 pins on the standard connector and three wires into the module. The other pins are empty. For your quad without a remote connector you would have to wire the module directly into the wiring harness, but that would require only three wires, so it would be fairly straightforward to do.

That fourth wire from the module that does not go to the connector is the receive antenna. It just dangles.

Here is a link for a more complex module (again from MotorPartsMax.com):

Note that all the pins on the standard connector are wired up, so it supports all the functions - even flashing the turn signals when the alarm goes off - but since a typical chinese kid quad doesn't have turn signals there would just be no wire connections on the harness side of the connector. Once again this function is unused.

If you don't have a remote module connector in your wiring harness you'll have to manually wire the remote module into your harness using the above diagram. Note that to allow the remote to start up the quad with the ignition switch off you will have to cut the kill switch wire at the ignition switch and wire separate wires from the module to each side of the cut wire.

If the remote kill function is all you want then the first option is the easiest since it is only three wires to hook up: Fused 12 volt power, ground, and the kill switch connection.

One final consideration on remote modules. They are powered up all the time and drawing current from the battery. From what I've read, some draw a fair amount of current and can draw down your battery in just a couple weeks. Others are maybe not so bad. Thus when you store your quad for more than a few days it is imperative that you keep your battery on a maintenance charger (which you should be doing anyway) to keep your battery from from being damaged by sitting around partially discharged.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks I will look at this when I get home from work

Old 10-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Even with all of the stuff contained in my last post, I never answered your question .

To disable the remote module you simply unplug it. But there is a small caveat: You will lose the ability to shut down the engine by turning off the ignition switch. You'll have to use the handlebar kill switch instead. You could live with this new feature, or if you want to restore the ability to use the ignition switch to kill the engine you'll have to wire the gray and pink wires in the above diagram at the remote connector.

Your wire colors may or may not be the same, but use the connector outline in the above diagram to figure out the correct pins and short them together. Note that if you look at the diagram, all you are doing with this short is restoring the connection that was "cut" to install the remote in the first place.