1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

used chinese quad no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used chinese quad no spark

HI,
I purchased a used 200cc atv recently and have been riding it for a month or so. After I purchased it , I also bought a battery maintainer, which was a good investment I might add. The atv is a 200cc water cooled the tag says it is a KTMMEX, never heard of that. But it was in great shape. Within the last two weeks i noticed it would not fire up. I pulled the plug and while trying to crank it, I rested the spark plug against a screw for the exhaust pipe guard. There was no spark. I would appreciate any help you all can offer.
I have been reading several blogs on this particuliar subject already and notice there is alot of replies pointing towards the CDI box. I located mine, it is a 6 pin style. I have also noticed that the first question back to me may be, what voltage unit do I have? If I understand it correctly, My CDI box is A/C, My digital meter shows 82vac. It notice this measurement does fluctuate. I hope I have this correct seeing how most images show the CDI pins configuration and after flipping that around to the (2) plugs I removed . This 82 volts ac was read across the a/c ignition power terminal and the ignition coil. As well as between the a/c ignition power terminal and the ignition trigger pulse terminal. If this is incorrect, hopefully someone can help out.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm glad you've read up and tried a few things. here while back a guy had pretty much the same problem, $3 dollars later with a new spark plug, it was running. please try that. it can't hurt nothing. but your measurements are on the right track to help track it down. it sounds like you've read a lot of Lynn's replies, so with that said, i'd follow his advice. but please try out a new plug. as stated, it can't hurt nothing. it may fix it.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought three new spark plugs and tried them all, still no spark. I am not too familiar with all the parts and pieces on these units. Last experience was a 1982 YZ100J 2-stroke that I had for a long time. Which I never had to do anything to it.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

test your block connections for continuity. The wiring connections on these things leave a lot to be desired.