1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Just brought home a 2006 Jialing Redcat MPX-70 70cc for my Son

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just brought home a 2006 Jialing Redcat MPX-70 70cc for my Son

I moved up my son from a Kazuma Meerkat 50cc to this Jialing Redcat MPX-70 70cc Quad. The previous owner did a hack paint job on the front push bar, front plastic piece and handlebar stem. So, the first thing was to limit the throttle while my son gets used to it. After a fun day with it, I removed all the said parts for a re-paint.

I also removed the chrome exhaust and chrome handlebars. I hate chrome on ATV's, so I sanded them down so the paint would adhere to it and painted the Exhaust high temp flat black, Handle bars with black trim paint, all other pieces got a fresh coat of Semi-Gloss black paint after a thorough sanding job.

Here's a quick vid we did prior to the painting.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

A couple pics bringing the Redcat home:

Old 11-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Had some time after work to reinstall all the parts I painted up.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

Are there larger 3 hole pattern rims that will fit this model? I will need tires soon but would rather put larger ones on. Anyone done this?

Old 11-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice pic's.

One of the things I wondered about was the tire wear. I've got way over 2500 miles on my 150cc quad and the tire nubs are only half worn, compared to 95% worn on your quad. I only drive on dirt, so I wonder if a lot of pavement miles have been placed on this quad.

I'm a mud and spray paint kind of guy. My quad quad looks like its gone through a lot because I never spend a lot of effort to clean it up. If I bend/break the luggage racks (after minor crashes) I bend it back and weld the breaks. Then I spray paint it black to prevent rust. I don't even bother to mask off the plastic. Over spray is good . It's a chinese quad....

Even if you were to find larger wheels you would really screw up the overall gearing. Larger wheels would make the engine to wheel gearing ratio much higher. The quad would lose enormous low end torque and you would have to adjust the sprocket ratio (engine to axle) to compensate.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:46 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Nice pic's.

One of the things I wondered about was the tire wear. I've got way over 2500 miles on my 150cc quad and the tire nubs are only half worn, compared to 95% worn on your quad. I only drive on dirt, so I wonder if a lot of pavement miles have been placed on this quad.

I'm a mud and spray paint kind of guy. My quad quad looks like its gone through a lot because I never spend a lot of effort to clean it up. If I bend/break the luggage racks (after minor crashes) I bend it back and weld the breaks. Then I spray paint it black to prevent rust. I don't even bother to mask off the plastic. Over spray is good . It's a chinese quad....

Even if you were to find larger wheels you would really screw up the overall gearing. Larger wheels would make the engine to wheel gearing ratio much higher. The quad would lose enormous low end torque and you would have to adjust the sprocket ratio (engine to axle) to compensate.
I doubt if this little quad ever touched dirt in it's 6 years of life. It will with me though since we only ride on the dirt trails here. Hence, why I need to register it with the Dept of Motor Vehicles. They check here. Thanks for the input on the larger wheels as I will just keep it stock then. Went to Harbor Freight and bought a couple tire irons.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider

The tires I bought off eBay have arrived. Not bad for four tires for $80 shipped.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Ughh, I hate the California DMV. Referred to CHP for inspection. What a pain in the a$$.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider

Created a makeshift bead breaker on my Harbor Freight Bearing Press. Repainted the wheels while I had them off. I feel better now that my son will have grip on the dirt. I also put some brake squeel in the rear brake drum cover but it still squeeks.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

I also fixed my sons seat as it was ripped on some of the corners where the plastic seat hits the vinyl cover material. I have an air stapler so I removed the old staples, then pull the material and re-stapled. I also fix the mounting part with a little mod. Nice and sturdy now.

Quick Reply: Just brought home a 2006 Jialing Redcat MPX-70 70cc for my Son