1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

now that sounds like a float/needle valve is stuck and not open very far. probably need to pull the carb back out, drop the float bowl, and inspect the float. use your finger to actuate the float up/down. does that little needle valve you see back up in there that the float is actuating, is it moving freely or is it stuck or barely moving up/down? it may have some gunk/debris/gum in it. pull it apart, clean with a Q-Tip and carb cleaner, put it back together, actuate the float again to see if it is working better, then retry on quad.
before this, does it still have spark when you kick it? we don't want to chase after a fuel issue yet without spark.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how would i fix the float if thats what it is?

Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

i live in lanzarote. its gone dark now ill try it first thing in the morning and get back to you thanks again mate

Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

your float is probably fine. it probably does not have an internal leak where the floats would sink. i think the problem is the in the needle valve that the float actuates. it's a little bullet looking cylindrical piece of metal that sits in a little hole/port that lets gasoline in to the float bowl. may look similiar to this pic.

that wire hoop on the left connects to the float assembly. as you can see the pointed end can open/close the port. now, you can probably imagine how gunk/debris/gums can make this little sucker stick and not operate correctly. clean this and the port it sits in.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

mate you are a genious bike is running now just have the problem now of getting it running propperly still having to spray quick start to get it going but when its heated up it runs no problem.have you got any ideas for that? or does the carb just need cleaned a bit more?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by kev dollochin
mate you are a genious bike is running now just have the problem now of getting it running propperly still having to spray quick start to get it going but when its heated up it runs no problem.have you got any ideas for that? or does the carb just need cleaned a bit more?
i'm no genius, i'm just a shadetree mechanic that's learned from the school of hard knocks and this forum and my own problems/solutions to these quads.
now, explain in detail this "run properly" dilemma and using ether/starting fluid to start it. is this for cold starts only? is the choke not working for the cold start? i have no idea where lanzarote is located. it sounds like you're talking about cold starts on the quad because you saide that once warmed up, there's no issues. i'm presuming it is idling on its own, correcct?

Old 04-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Lanzarote is one of the canary islands of Spain just next to Africa. Lol
By not running properly I mean it doesn't feel like I'm getting the maximum out of it. And by warmed up I mean like when the engines been running it starts no bother but when switched off its a bit hard to get it started again. I don't see a choke on it just the fuel switch that has on of or reserve.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

When its idling it changes speed it starts low then goes a bit higher then drops down again. Is that normal or should it all be at the same level?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

you could be nearing a need for a valve adjustment. RPMs adjustment is a case of varied air intake i imagine. look over the adjustment screws and use the sticky for carb adjustment. that should help that matter. now, maximum performance.....look over the throttle adjustment. whether it is the screw/bolt that limits the stroke of the thumb throttle, located at the thumb throttle area, or the turnbuckle on the throttle cable which is sometimes located on the cable itself near the thumb throttle or the carb's slide. OR, sometimes in between. but somewhere on the cable. it is usually a larger "lump" of cable jacket that has soft rubber on it so as it facilitate removal and adjustment. most of the rest of the cable will be hard plastic. adjust in one or two areas so to increase throttle position. see if that helps. i'll PM you a generic "show me" item on this.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Whats the sticky?