1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Engine idles but 'bogs down' under load

Old 04-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this evening I put an NGK plug it and started straight away and ran sweet. 1st gear could be engaged and you could pull away with just feathering the throttle, and that was with me on it

Then, as it was idling before putting it away it just cut out and wouldn't restart.

Plug out and no spark whatsoever

So now I have to locate whats causing the no spark. I guess the first thing is to look at kill switch wires, anyone in particular can it be tested with a multimeter?

Old 04-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah, check all of your kill switches with your ohm meter/multimeter. that'll help you narrow it down quickly. glad it ran for a bit.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Jaster94
yeah, check all of your kill switches with your ohm meter/multimeter. that'll help you narrow it down quickly. glad it ran for a bit.
I take it the kill switch gives a 12v to the starter relay and the coil, any idea which wire does which?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well fingers crossed I think I have sorted it

It started on the button this morning butI noticed that when I put some weight on the right hand handlebar it started to want to cut out.

So I thought some wiring must be getting aggravated somewhere and I soon narrowed it down to the safety cut-out switch on the left hand side of the engine. When I wiggled the wires on that again the engine wanted to cut out.

So I snipped the wires and connected them up, taking out the switch. Now no matter what movement I do on the quad there is not cutting out, result!!

Cheers for all the help

Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that's dang good news!!!!! have a good'en!

Old 12-30-2016, 10:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

as your slide or butterfly on your carb opens, the lower pressure sucks in more air as more gasoline is sent to piston via the carb. the carb is trying to maintain the ratio. when it bogs down when the throttle is pressed, you're demanding more fuel, right? well, with a partially clogged/plugged jet, the gasoline demand is not met BUT you still have more air coming in offsetting the ratio. NOW, fuel demand is not met to sustain the burn and the quad bogs. does that make sense? hope so, i got cramps from typing. but anyways, that is a fuel delivery issue that needs to be rectified. to test for vacuum leaks at the intake boot, let it idle, spray carb cleaner or ether-starting fluid around the outside of the intake boot-not the airbox side. if it revs up, you have a vacuum leak that sucked in the vapors and fed the piston downstream of the carb. could be as simple as making sure the flange/O-Ring is on correctly or replacing the intake boot.
I think I may agree with you on this one for my situation , because my bike is bogging out huge when I push the throttle in fast , but if I go slow and steady at up to half throttle it it seems okay but the faster I go and the more I push past half way , it gets jerky and sputtery .

Old 12-30-2016, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Joshua Campbell
I think I may agree with you on this one for my situation , because my bike is bogging out huge when I push the throttle in fast , but if I go slow and steady at up to half throttle it it seems okay but the faster I go and the more I push past half way , it gets jerky and sputtery .
the only seal I haven't replaced after the rebuild was on my intake boot on the cylinder head I did the carb end , I'll see what happens tmrw after a test with brake cleaner maybe on to the boot at mating surfaces at idle , or I'll just replace it anyways since I have the seals to do it with ....

Old 09-12-2018, 02:46 PM
alo
Weekend Warrior

jaster94 checking for air leaks posted 4/28/13

Do not spray 'ether' or 'quick start' any where near a hot engine or exhaust pipe. Brake cleaner is also combustible.

Last edited by alo; 09-12-2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 09-23-2019, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

it's not the CDI, put it up on blocks and tie it down or hang the rearend from the ceiling. start it and rev it up with the rear axle off of the ground, does it do the same thing? does it do it in neutral? if in gear and it does it, may start looking at clutch, if it does it in neutral, it's a vacuum/fuel delivery issue like a partially clogged main jet.
My kodiak is doing the same thing revs fine in neautral and in gear as long as the tires are off of the ground but want get over about 15 20 with a load and it starts sputtering if I gas on it but if I ease into the throttle it will gradually increase in speed

Old 09-23-2019, 04:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you clean the carb?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine idles but 'bogs down' under load