1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Battery or starter motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery or starter motor

Happy riding to all,

Recently I acquired a 3rd quad bike to his the tracks with my kids, the latest bike is some sort of 250cc, I was told shindaiwa or something along those lines. It had no battery so I jumped it off car and got it running, fixed a few radiator leaks and threw a new spark plug in it.

Was recommended by local shop a 12v 9a battery would suffice. However it doesn't, it barely turns the motor overand I have notices the wire on the input of the solenoid gets a little warm and doesn't turn motor over enough for it to come to life.

Putting jumper leads from the car to the wires spins the motor fast enough to start it no worries. I returned the original battery as it was not doing the job, the guy in the shop tested it on one of his bikes there and it did the same thing, not enough power to turn motor.

Today I got another battery was recommended a yuasa 12v9 v41 or something along those lines, hooked it up, same thing, wires got warm not enough turn on motor, ran battery straight to the starter motor and that didn't spin any faster either.

All ground wires are connected, overkill if anything I have engine and chassis both heavily earthed.

My question if a starter is dodgy will that try to pull more power that the battery cant cope with, yet cranking from a car battery its fine because there is an abundance of power from it ???

Hope somebody has an answer, also put multi meter on battery when cranking the battery voltage got as low as around 7 volts

Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

no these cheap chinese quads use underpowered batteries and dont hold up after starting more than twice at 30 seconds. also the power wires are of too small of gauge for proper current draw the starters need. i have a kazuma falcon 250 had this exact problem using a dinky lil battery i went out and purchased the largest battery that would fit in the battery compartment and ran power and grounds twice the size of oem. it still strained n the batt would not handle lights for long along with the electric fans and cdi ignition. so i ended up making a battery tray and using a lawn and garden battery and i have not had any voltage issues since. i bought the smallest lawn and garden batt and its 2-3 times the size. if you dont want to go the route of fabbing a batt tray then take measurements off your battery tray and goto your local power sports dealer and purchase largest one that fits those dimensions and has the highest amperage output/ cold cranking amps and replace your power wire from the batt to solenoid and from solenoid to starter with larger wire. should fix the problem especially if your atv looks like this:

Old 05-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

looks something similar to that, I got starter tested it spun up, but they couldn't test it under load, so I bought another starter today, took mine over with me measured it all up, got it home, new starter wont fit in the hole like the old one did, I used a bit of persuasion on it and managed to get the starter where its supposed to be, but then when I gave it power it did nothing, pulled it out and it worked again...something is definitely not right.

I found out its a Trojan 250 with the pushrod engine not OHC

Old 05-04-2013, 02:09 AM
Trailblazer

My issues are fixed, a big 14 am, 230 cca battery, and a modification to the battery box, starts and purrs like a kitten... will probably go over the wiring and replace a lot of it, that way I know its definitely been done

Old 05-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

After ordering a new wiring loom and removing the old one, just for ***** and giggles I did some testing on the old loom, I measured ohms from main power wire to the red wire up at the ignition, the resistance was .001 or something showing a connection, I did the same with the negative and it was the same....then I connected tested for negative at battery end of loom, and positive at ignition, and there was a connection oh around 400 reading. So by process of elimination this has told me that there is a short somewhere hence the struggling battery power. Even though a big cca battery would start it, that was due to the fact it had ample power to distribute everywhere even though there was a short, it still had enough power to turn the starter motor