1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Cdi Regulator and Stator questions adly 300 U

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cdi Regulator and Stator questions adly 300 U

I have a adly 300 im rather confused with, been reading alot of other post here seems a few guys really know their quads. Bought this adly from a friend we was riding one day and it just died (cdi stopped working) the cdi box was cracked swollen a little, well he messed with it couldnt figure it out sold it to me after it sat 2 years now here we are, I ran down the problem he replaced the coil and still no spark so i replaced the cdi and got my spark back, but it was short lived, i blew a hole out the side of the cdi box within the first ten mins of running, crazy to me never seen that one sounded like a gun going off. From what i read cdi boxes get current straight from the stator? or does it have to go threw the regulator? what could cause this? bad regulator? bad coil? or a stator? im running the wires and dont really see much it could be other then one wire was put back together at the from the manuel i read some kind of box looks like a smaller cdi but moniters the gears? Also my start button has stopped working and pressing in the clutch doesnt start it either you can jump the coil and its fine. So any help would be great, as im lost and just bought a set of meters that im now learning to read lol Thanks!

Old 09-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

also a could a bad solenoiddo crazy things like this? need some help before i sink anymore cash into it already $200 in on it with parts, really not looking to sink another 275 in eltronic parts if its a lost cause....

Old 09-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

you are going to have to find some info and start testing the outputs of everything. you may have to search out everything individually.. never heard of a cdi blowing like that

Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

i read on another forum, believe it was a polaris, dude was talking about his blowing up guy posted said his had the same problem it was the rectifier, but i talked to an atv mechanic he said pretty much everything but the stator could do it, but ive read stator could so i dunno what to think or where to start lol, i noticed that the old cdi has a missing piece of plastic in the same exact spot as where mine blew and has the exact same crack running the face of it, so it was already a problem which is the reason it went out the first time, but it didnt blow up untill i reved the motor a few times, im guessing because that produced extra voltage to the system, but it didnt blow the fuse is what i dont understand, it pretty well melted it, maybe he replaced the fuse for a bigger one or something, so im guessing maybe the regulator considering it blowed during a reving it idled just fine blew with the higher rpms? what do you think? Really need some advice!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok maybe you can answer this one for me, im new to this cdi stuff, from all i have dug up and understood it goes like this, stator puts out ac. And loads of it, that in return goes to the regulator rectifier, which converts it to dc. Which then sends it out to the whole system in the bike, so technically the stator doesnt directly touch any elitrical in the system untill it is passed threw the regulator rectifier? am i correct or? because if thats the case then thats a start for me lol

Old 09-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok update, ive taken my regulator rectifier off found the plugin on the inside had a burned connection, on one of the yellow wires, so now im curious because the yellow wires run to the stator, does this mean the stator is bad or does this mean the regulator rectifier was back feeding shorting or something to that effect to blow it?

Old 10-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not know your machine, but many (most?) of the smaller Chinese units use
what they call an AC CDI box. That means that the CDI is run off of a relatively
high-voltage pulse produced by a coil next to the stator. About 100-200v. That is
in addition to the low-voltage coil on the stator that provides the timing trigger
pulse to the CDI.

I have successfully changed over to a DC CDI box on a Chinese ATV, using a
very inexpensive unit that uses the battery instead of a Hi-V pulse. That was on a
GY6 (Kasea).

Sounds like your regulator is bad. One way it can kill things is to put out too
high DC voltage to the battery.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

this one is a 300 runs a 282 cc, from the research i have done it points to a dc cdi, i could be wrong, but it has a voltage regulator rectifier, it is a bigger sized box, and so on, i could be wrong though, now im trying to do the difficult task of finiding replacement parts for this thing, i found an "adly" dealer but they are wanting out of this world prices for cheap china parts and i just dont see me putting that much more into this bike, i already put a replacement 90 dollar cdi box on this thing and blew it up, so not looking foward to 350 bucks to runt hrew the whole eletrical system because this go round im going to replace the reg/rec, the cdi, and the ignition coil, along with the main fuse with a new square fuse insted of the old "tube" fuse because when it blowed it still shorted and sent current to my whole system. Any ideas a good spot to look for cheap parts?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Until recently, I would not buy or work on Chinese quads cuz I had no reliable
source for parts. Since then, I have had 3 different units here, and I bought parts
from dealers in China with storefronts on eBay. You need to visually compare parts
to see if they may work, but electrical parts are still a crap-shoot. Recently, I
bought a DC CDI box with matching coil, and the coil cap was no good. I got a
replacement quickly....total cost, about $23. There are more and more US-based
dealers carrying Chinese parts, if you prefer that route. I have paid under $10
for reg/rectifier, and under $30 for a whole stator.

You might want to pull your side cover and look at your stator. You should see
the main coils with 3 wires coming off them (usually yellow), and the small pulse
coil. If your CDI is an AC unit, you will see another coil unlike the others.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

my first china made 4wheeler, only reason why i got it is because i paid 60 bucks for it, and the only reason why is because the girlfriend wanted it, i knew the guy who had it and had actually riden the bike a few times after i had fixed the carb for him, i was riding in a group the day it broke down on him, wouldnt fire back up, he let it sit a while then said 60 bucks your can have it, figured why not they sell for around 1,500 bucks on the four wheeler blue book, i know i have 3 yellow wires runs to the reg/rec box from the stator, then i have a pulse generator wire that comes from the stator to the coil or the cdi cant remember exactly now, then there is another wire coming from the stator from my under standing it is nothing but a ground wire that is grounded in the stator housing, im glad you have worked on them before because it sure helps to be able to discuss things with someone who knows alot more than me about them lol, so i heard these china cdi boxes suck and normally have tons of problems even read about disconnecting a certian wire from it to help the life of it, not sure if you know more about that subject, i mean its a china quad so i dont see where putting cheap china parts on it would hurt. It ran good when i cranked it up with the new cdi after a couple revs to the motor to make sure it would take the fuel boom! lol no more cdi box if you have an email i will send you a picture of the box it blowed a pencil size hole in it

Quick Reply: Cdi Regulator and Stator questions adly 300 U