1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Used Chinese atv wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Chinese atv wont start

OK, so I got this used ATV and there are no markings of the maker. I have been doing quite a bit of troubleshooting on it already since there was some cut wires. Might be short but cant find it. I do not have a wiring diagram but have found a few 4 pin CDI that look like they work for this ATV. Here is what I have done already. The atv has a 4 pin CDI which was missing. Replaced with new CDI.
-There is no lights when I connect the ignition switch. Start button does nothing
-Checked wiring from CDI, ok to components attached. Has a black/red wire that goes to the 12v fused wire from the battery through the ignition/kill switch.
-After replacing the CDI I now get spark at plug
-Checked solenoid for starter getting 12v in but both the wires for the activation and even the wire going to the starter after are all showing connectivity to ground. When I jump the solenoid with a screwdriver the starter turns over but will not start.
-All wiring for the lights are showing connectivity to ground.
-There is however a black wire that is part of the wiring for the lights and handlebar switches that is wired into a junction of all other black wires but connects to nothing else. Connectivity shows to ground, BUT when I apply 12v to this wire all the lights come on and the start button works turning over the starter. I am not sure if this black wire is actually supposed to have 12v applied to it, if it also showing ground connection. I just dont want to blow any components.

Thank you in advance, your help is appreciated

Old 01-18-2015, 04:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 344 Likes on 335 Posts

Your machine will have a VIN number on the frame and some Chinese makers are listed on the VIN identification websites, so you could be lucky. Alternatively a good photo on this site may help identify it. Without a wiring diagram you are going to struggle to sort a chopped harness out.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get spark like you stated. Remove the air filter and put a shot of Starter Fluid in there. Jump the starter solenoid again. If it starts for a few seconds, your issue will be the carburetor or upstream the fuel line to tank.

Also, I usually start at 1-1/2 to 2 turns on the air/fuel mixture screw on the carb.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer

most of the cdi are 5 or 6 pin that i have on all of mine there is a chance that there is another connector that your lights go to see if you have one that has two wires a blue and a black maybe if so it may plug into your cdi. are you getting a spark to the plug

Old 01-27-2015, 07:21 AM
Range Rover

if u have a good battery, and the key in the on position and u can cross the starter relay to make the starter turn over and this gives u fire at the plug but your start switch on your handlebar doesn't work,that will be your auto start problem.
as far as making it run, if you have spark,u need air n gas. cleaned the carb yet?