1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

TaoTao No spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TaoTao No spark

I have read through posts after posts on this chinese 110cc no spark thing. haha. I need help bad. I bought this atv new just a month ago. All the sudden it would just shut off. I would have to turn the key on and off while turning the engine over until it finally started. It would be fine until my son shut it off. So, I figured it was a bad switch. Replaced the switch and still did it. So the next day I pulled the safety cap off the back rack. I kept pushing the button over and over while my son cranked the engine over. It would start all the sudden. It would run great until he killed it. Then I would have to push the kill switch/safety until it started.

Well, one day I just couldn't get it started again. I have no spark...at all. So I disconnected the kill switch pin to the cdi unit. Still no spark. I bought a new cdi....still no spark. I bought a new coil.....still no spark....I bought a new stator, still nothing.

IM LOST. can anyone help me out? Actually, I got it running one time without the middle kill switch pin in the cdi. It ran great until all the sudden it just died. It's been dead ever since. I need any and all help. haha.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a mulitmeter but have no clue how to use it. can any generous tech help a poor guy out...pleaseeeee?

Old 06-23-2015, 12:25 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is your CDI 5 wire or 4 wire?

The first is AC powered off the stator, and the second is DC powered off the 12 volt battery/battery charge system. The troubleshooting procedure is quite different between these two systems.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

It's the 5 pin cdi. Yesterday while trying things, the starter quit working. As I kept hitting the button it acted like contact wasn't being made. Hesitation and it'd start turning over. Finally, I push the button and it doesn't do anything now. I have 12v to the solenoid and to switch.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK, its the switch. Now back to why this has no spark! Any help??

Old 06-23-2015, 09:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So you've satisfied all of the interlocks & tried a new spark plug? How're you testing for spark?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Tried new plug. I'm putting the plug on the head for ground. When I get spark, it'll run perfect. I just can't get anything

Old 06-23-2015, 09:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm presuming you've pulled your quick connects apart on your wiring harness/Loom to double check that none of the spades pushed back ? I'm curious cause I've had a taotao do this trick: it had a crimped wire near the handlebars & would only make contact when turned to the left but would die if straight or turned right.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Do you store it in or outside? If outside, is it humid? May check pick up on stator for surface rust which will inhibit spark

Old 06-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Always in garage. Only had 3 weeks I bet. I bought new

Quick Reply: TaoTao No spark