1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

only runs on carb cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 11:01 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default only runs on carb cleaner

Ok.little 90cc atv. carb is cleaned, jets are 100% perfect and I am getting gas.
New plug, hot spark so I know that's good also.
Turns over like a champ but will only start up with a shot of carb cleaner in the carb and will run a few seconds till it burns it off.
I am not sure what the previous owner tinkered with so I have the idle screw down so if it cranks it will run a tad hi until it warms up and I can idle it.
The air screw...I am not so sure about. It turned in 2 1/2 times and that is where I set it when I put the carb back together.
Any suggestions, let me hear them. thanks
oh yeah,its a 2 stroke with manual choke.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Check compression..

Old 01-23-2015, 12:49 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Check compression..
really? I figured since the carb cleaner got it to run I was having issues with the fuel/air somewhere. Well crap if the compression is bad.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by bamax100
really? I figured since the carb cleaner got it to run I was having issues with the fuel/air somewhere. Well crap if the compression is bad.
Compression may or may not be your problem,BUT a lot of low compression engines can crank up with carb cleaner,ether,etc as they are lighter than gas to where a low compression engines piston and rings can't force the gas/oil/air mixture through the crank case transfer ports for ignition.I've started a bunch of low compression 2 stroke engines that will run as long as keep spraying the ether in. Not a good idea to keep using carb cleaner or ether as it washes any oil from the engine and also from the lower rod bearing and crank bearings.You don't want it damaged further.Just check compression and see where you stand on this.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:47 PM
Range Rover

ill expand on my dilema. 2 strokes aren't my thing but I was doing this to help a person out.
he bought this 3 months ago,ran fine until about 2 weeks ago. had to start pressing the gas all the way to start it,it would idle but when u gave has,it would bust up and not really go.
he premixes 50-1 but the oil injection still works.
I get it home and I never could get it to start.he said it would take awhuile before it would fire with him.
anyway,i can shoot some carburetor cleaner in the carb and it will fire n run.if you keep shooting it with cleaner,it doesn't run.onlt that initial start up will it fire.
when it does fire n run for about 4-5 seconds, it smokes like mad. I assumed this was the 2 stroke smoke itself. Engine sounds healthy and eh said it ran fine until it started the hard starting/idle issues.
I brought it to fix for him because he said it would crank and idle but not take gas.I figured easy enuff carb/vac problem and have him on his way.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Kinda hard to decipher you post,did you get it running??

Old 01-24-2015, 07:31 AM
Range Rover

ok,ill try again.
he bought it running 3 months ago.
2 weeks ago,started having issues cranking. he had to hold gas wide open and it would take a minute before it started.Once started,it wouldn't go when you gave it gas...it bogged down. But would idle fine.
I picked it up a few days ago,and I never could get it started like he said he could so I took off the carb,cleaned it and installed a new spark plug. STILL no crank.I am getting gas into carb and I am getting spark.
I can spray carb cleaner into the carb and it will crank and run for about 3-5 seconds. If I try and spray cleaner while its running,it will still die. Cleaner only seems to work on starting it up.
I asked him about the gas and oil and he said he premixes the gas/oil but the oil injection does work.he has to put oil in the bottle occasionally.
This is where I am at now on fixing it

Old 01-24-2015, 08:12 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Once again start at a compression check as low compression can cause every one of the symptoms you've described. If compression is least a minimum of 115psi or more,then you can eliminate it as a problem and move on..

Old 01-26-2015, 03:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an old Yamaha Timberwolf before that smoked like steam locomotive. I bought it that way, I only paid $500 for it. I could only get it to start when it was cold by taking off the airbox and spraying starting fluid into the air intake. It would start right up then and then once it got warm, it would start fine without it. I'm sure the engine was low on compression. I basically had to add oil to it each time I rode it it was consuming so much. I didn't keep it long and ended up selling it as is instead of dumping money into an old machine that wasn't worth much.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:20 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Have you cleaned the carb yet?

Quick Reply: only runs on carb cleaner