1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

90cc 2 stroke monsoon motorsports quad compression

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sambavwman
Hooked everything back up. Ran compression test, is around 90 to 100 psi on the new head and piston/ring setup. Previously 65 or so. Added fuel to the tank, blew out all of the lines, and no startup. I don't think I am getting gas. I've cleaned out the carb and aligned the float upside down to be level. Cleaned out all carb passages. Not sure what to do at this point. I ordered a new carb tonight for $20 bucks . I haven't checked the reeds and I'm not really sure what to look for anyways. I have good spark at the plug and am a bit frustrated. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm going to go with 2 cycle pre-mix going forward. I think the oil injection is shot as I tested for by running the motor for quite a while w/ the electric start and pressed down the throttle, no oil came out even after priming the pump.
Good call on the new carb. This sounds like it should get you going. That compression still seems low, but should still run. Try some starting fluid directly in the cylinder (remove spark plug) and then try to start again.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

With all do respect, WD-40 is used in place of starting fluid on 2 strokes. Yes ppl use starting fluid but it should only be used if nothing else is available.
I think the compression should raise once the rings seat. It's good now tho.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by LT80
With all do respect, WD-40 is used in place of starting fluid on 2 strokes. Yes ppl use starting fluid but it should only be used if nothing else is available.
I think the compression should raise once the rings seat. It's good now tho.
No problem. To each is own. I've done this on all my 2 and 4 strokes without any ill affect. It should only be a small blast in the chamber to get it running. I do this on my 1979 Honda Odyssey as the fuel pump system is terrible and it takes a little kick start to get the pressure up to feed fuel from the tank. Agreed on the compression should raise upon ring seat. I just did the piston/rings on my Honda ATC and it was registering 170 before I even put a spark plug in to start it up.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, I thought I would mention that I am using a 4 stroke coil from my 150cc yamoto for testing right now. The spark is good. The CDI box is a 2 stroke one that appears to still work. From other posts I believe there is very little difference between the 4 stroke and 2 stroke coils for chinese quads, only the CDI itself.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by sambavwman
BTW, I thought I would mention that I am using a 4 stroke coil from my 150cc yamoto for testing right now. The spark is good. The CDI box is a 2 stroke one that appears to still work. From other posts I believe there is very little difference between the 4 stroke and 2 stroke coils for chinese quads, only the CDI itself.
Should be ok for now, but why not order a proper one while you wait for your carb to arrive. They are cheap.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default took advice on wd40

I fired some down the spark plug hole, tried to fire it up and nothing.

I'm getting concerned that something else is wrong.

1. I have spark. This means the CDI and coil are working properly. The spark is visible all the way to the end of the plug. I had a plug matched at autozone from the BP7HS spark plug, gapped to .025 - .028.

2. This quad does not have the ignition switch, it appears to have been bypassed by the previous owner ~ this seems quite stupid to me. I can see where they used a butt connector to bypass it. The starter turns over. If the kill switch is active I can't get the starter to turn over.

3. Exhaust? Could the exhaust be plugged or something. I don't see anything removable from the exhaust pipe to be cleaned, etc. I can feel compression/air come out of the pipe when turning it over.

4. I put my hand over the intake of the carb to choke it, and had the gas engaged the whole time. Nada. Did not even sputter or anything else.

I'm getting concerned I have some other strange problem. I guess it's time to pop the cover and inspect the reeds. I'm still waiting on the carb. I'm going to order a 2 stroke coil and give it another shot this weekend.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default carb came in. Hopefully have an update tonight.

This hopefully does it. Still have not inspected the reeds.. Been at work all week =(

Old 04-18-2015, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default bad news. Still not running.

I installed the new carb, no juice. Shot some wd 40 down the intake of the carb and nothing.

I took out the intake and inspected the reeds. They looked brand new. I'm thinking at this point the cdi and or ignitions system has a problem. I am getting spark at the plug when I take it out.

I'm concerned that spark is not enough. The guy who previously owned it thought it might need a CDI. This is a 2 stroke CDI. I used a 4 stroke coil from my yamoto. This was recommended to be okay on another thread, the generic china coils (4 stroke or not) work just fine, only the CDI timing on a 2 stroke is different. Even someone who used a 4 stroke cdi was able to get the engine to run. At this point I have no idea why it won't run. The plug is new and fires, compression is above 90, new carb, new head, new piston, fresh gas mixed with some 2 stroke oil.

Now I know why this quad was sold for a few hundred bucks, someone could not figure it out and i've spent another $125 trying to fix it.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Throwing wd40 down the spark plug hole and firing does not seem to work. I can hear a weak ping or detonation when I hit the gas when trying to start it.

Is it possible the timing is off somewhere? Should i buy another plug?

Will a 2 stroke CDI even when bad still allow the coil some spark?

Old 04-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I've seen new plugs not fire under compression. Might as well try another.
Is the plug wet after trying to start?
I wonder if someone has messed with the timing (turning the stator).
You mentioned the pipe puffing. You might want to pull it and see how much air goes thru it with compresed air. Shouldn't take much to see.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default RE:

The plug does look a bit wet, but is brand new. It will spark immediately when taken out of the motor and set next to the engine block. This engine supposedly requires some special tools to pull the stator assembly, a reverse thread 27mm tool.

Should I try to take out the exhaust and see if it fires?

Not sure what else to try at this point. The spark color is blue on the plug when it sits next to the motor after cranking it over.

BTW, I do have a 12v battery hooked up to the quad when trying to start it. I think i'm about ready to go through the wiring diagram.

From other forums, having spark does not necessarily mean the cdi works properly from my research.

Quick Reply: 90cc 2 stroke monsoon motorsports quad compression