1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Fuel spilling out of Carb

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old tech, do you think that a compression of 105 would cause my Dinli to not fire up? I just don't know what else to fix.

Spark - check
Fuel - Check
Compression - Maybe????

Old 11-19-2015, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe 105 would be enough to run. The only other thing I can think of is timing. Also, you are running with the air filter and housing connected, right?

Let me look at my Dinli manual and see if there is a "pawl" on the stator shaft as i think this is where the timing takes place. If the pawl is sheared, it will be off time.

For giggles, try and start the atv while covering the air inlet and slowly giving air by moving your hand. Mine had a weird back pressure issue.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Yup, has a Magneto (stator) that is held in by a woodruf key (pawl). You'll need a flywheel puller tool. I've used the same tool on all my atv's and dirtbikes, so it's worth the investment of $10

Old 11-20-2015, 08:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DeLaSwim
Old tech, do you think that a compression of 105 would cause my Dinli to not fire up? I just don't know what else to fix.

Spark - check
Fuel - Check
Compression - Maybe????
You have to have 4 things,compression,fuel,air and spark. Compression may be the problem IF you've eliminated everything else including stator timing. If you have good spark,do have fuel to the carb and it wont crank even if you block off the air tube,try a shot of starting fluid. If an engine won't at least try to run on starting fluid,then I'd have to say either low compression or crank seals might be leaking causing the problem.You have to have good top and bottom compression.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

This stator timing thing seems tricky to get to. I don't know what it looks like or where it's housed. If I did figure all that out, how would I know if it's bad?

Old 11-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

The timing gets off due the pawl being sheared off. The stator will spin off it's timing. Once you pull the cover off using the puller, you will see the pawl and notch, if it's not lined up, then it's off time.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

When you try to start it, do you apply full throttle? With a wet plug (and prolly flooded cases) a full throttle start gives it the air needed to lean out all the fuel.
I feel 105 comp is enough too. They usually run with 90.
If the nut on the flywheel is/was tight, I doubt a key is sheared. If it ran with a loose nut I could see it as a possibility.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

I've tried to start it with full throttle, hand over air intake, partial throttle, no throttle, and laying on the throttle. No luck no matter what. It won't even sputter like it's trying to start. I'd take a look at the magneto but don't know where it's housed.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have my Dinli anymore, but probably on the right side as the CVT is on the left. The service manual is too large to attach here. Give me your email and I send it.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by LT80
When you try to start it, do you apply full throttle? With a wet plug (and prolly flooded cases) a full throttle start gives it the air needed to lean out all the fuel.
I feel 105 comp is enough too. They usually run with 90.
If the nut on the flywheel is/was tight, I doubt a key is sheared. If it ran with a loose nut I could see it as a possibility.
I too have never had it happen to me before, but it seems to happen on Honda Odysseys a lot, so yes, the possibility can happen.

Quick Reply: Fuel spilling out of Carb