1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Baja 90cc Automatic ba90 starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 90cc Automatic ba90 starting issue

Hello ALL

I have a 90cc baja that I got from a friend and was trying to get started for my nephew during this covid boredom thats arised .. it'd be great if someone on here has experience with these motors -,- I prefer working on my ymh 700 or szk ltz over these any day.. but lets focus..

Sooo

I brought the quad home, jammed a screwdriver in the ignition due to no key and got the ignition working. Lights worked and speedo too.. So I pull in the brake crank the bike and it was turning over, but struggling.. I then charged the battery for a few hours, put it back on and also connected a battery starter to the bike.. I put the starter on "50 amp" engine start setting.. I cranked the bike, it was turning over at times, but it felt weird... Sometimes it sounded like the starter was just rolling.. initially when I was trying to start it , it would make the rear tires push forward although the bike is an automatic.. I checked the spark plug and it has spark, so thats good.. I then took off the air filter, shot some ether un the carb, cranked it and got the bike damn near close to starting, but then after I tried to start ot again it now just makes a CLICK sound @ the solenoid. I jumped the solenoid with a screw driver and I get a spark.. but when trying to electric start it I get the same tick sound at the solenoid. Do you think I fryed the starter at this point?
I checked the fuse under the seat, near the battery and its fine... im not too good with electrical on these things.. any advice or ideas would be great, as I have time.on my hands now lol

I also the proceeded to take the case covering for the starter chain and it was all clear of any debris.. the flywheel spinned clockwise only, is this normal? And the chain that connects to the starter had play but would not spin .. I then took the starter off and there was a bunch of debris when I took it apart.. The starter motor with the small gearhead attached does not spin freely at all when I removed it.. is this my sign that this fryer is gone??

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
AL
😷