1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Hisun 400cc ATV No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020 | 07:31 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Hisun 400cc ATV No Spark

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some help with this one.

I have a 2006 Hisun (Coleman brand) 400 cc ATV (not UTV) that worked for a very long time and then one day stopped working and now there is no spark.

I have replaced the following with brand new parts : CDI/ECM (3 plug module), stator coil, ignition coil. I also tried the spark plug on another machine and it works fine.

I am assuming an electrical problem. This thing is an electrical tape frankenstein so its not easy to follow the wiring sometimes.

Any help would be much appreciated ! Thanks a lot in advance!

I will post some pictures soon.

Old 11-13-2020 | 07:41 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Photos

Old 11-13-2020 | 07:45 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

If someone had the service manual or some wiring diagrams for this model (or similar model), that would really help too !

Old 11-13-2020 | 07:58 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

This is the closest I could find for a service manual online :

https://www.impac.cl/pub/media/wysiw...ice_manual.pdf

Old 11-14-2020 | 04:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The RH side of the engine and the frame look like fairly accurate copies of the air cooled Yams of the period, trouble is, did they copy the wiring diagram too. Haven't downloaded the manual you link to, but if it has a diagram then follow it. Yams have an unnecessarily complex wiring system to the CDI but the basics are, feeds from trigger coil and power coil in, plus an earth wire, and a feed to ignition coil out, plus kill wire. All the other stuff was Yamaha being annoying, like wires from starter lock-outs etc, I doubt if these have any influence on the spark at all. Check all the wires that matter to/from CDI, One will not be working right, and get a new spark plug, you have spent lots on stator, CDI and coil but are trying to save $2 on a plug!

Old 11-14-2020 | 08:19 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I figured it out finally using the wiring diagram from the document I linked.

The previous people that worked on it did some weird bypasses with the wiring.

The blue/white wire from the 12v to the CDI was bypassed and went to the key switch. That was very strange because the other side of the key switch was also 12v. The wire from the key switch going back to power the fuse box was also cut.

I rewired the blue/white 12v wire directly to the CDI and then put the brown/blue wire back to the key switch (the red 12v wire on the other side of the key switch). That way the CDI would get power and the key switch would send 12v to the fuse box like it is supposed to.

Low and behold, I got a spark after fixing those issues.

I detailed my solution in case someone who reads this thread is in need of help. But ultimately the problem was probably the CDI, the stator coil or the ignition coil or one or more of those components. I will test the old components to see which one(s) were the culprit(s).

Thanks a lot for your reply!