3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

taotao.....good or bad?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:47 PM
46u
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My grandson has been riding the heck out of his 110 now for 7 months. The only problems we had is the rear rack broke which we welded and the axle got know out of alinement. No it is not as good as a $3,000 Honda but for $580 out the door he has all ready gotten the money out of it and it is still running strong. O I for got I had to replace the tail light bulb as well. Main thing even on a high dollar ATV you need to keep the valves adjusted and the oil changed. As well as check to make sure all is tight.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

I have been running 3 Chinese ATV's for 4 years now. I love them! They are cheap, cheap to keep running and if something does break they are easy to fix. Do I fix them all the time? NO... All I have done to two of them is change the oil and adjusted the chain. One gave me some issues with the rear swing arm. Changed the bushings twice and then had some brass ones made. Problem fixed.

I am looking to buy two more next spring. Did I say I love them?

Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I picked up a Tao Tao 250D for $450. It needed a battery, but I was riding it in no time. I read a lot about them before I bought it. I'm not afraid to turn a wrench. The materials used to make the quad are incredibly cheap. There was a lot of adjusting that I made, but it was also used when I bought it, and I have no idea what the previous owners did to it. I will say the chain is junk. I picked up an RK chain for 17.99, and it is way better. I'd buy that and run it before ever even starting a new one. My swing arm bushings are junk, and I've never found anyone that sells them. I am having my brother-in-law make me some metal ones. I don't think the front brakes are very good, but I've always been able to stop.
My buddy bought a TRX 250 around the same time I bought mine, and the difference in the quality of parts is amazing. However, I paid a lot less for mine, and mine starts easily every time. I have done maintenance, but that is to be expected. I hope to upgrade sometime soon, but will probably never get rid of mine. I'll keep it for an extra quad for the kids or friends to ride.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by davemfdanger
My swing arm bushings are junk, and I've never found anyone that sells them. I am having my brother-in-law make me some metal ones..
That is the only problem I had with my TaoTao. I had a friend of mine make some bushings out of brass. They work perfectly.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

can you tell me the measurements he used? i am going to have my brother in law make some as well. i was thinking 14mmIDx24mmOD?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

can you tell me the measurements he used? i am going to have my brother in law make some as well. i was thinking 14mmIDx24mmOD?
My swingarm bushings failed too (different quad, 150cc GY6). I have a lathe and made my own replacements out of delrin.

But I did a google search for "tao tao swing 110cc swing arm bushings" and got quite a few vendor links (though these are probably the same site with different internet names). Do the pic's and dimensions match your quad? If so, you can buy cheap replacements, but they will wear out quickly again. Brothers in law that can machine custom parts are great for this particular problem, but for the masses I'm hoping that there is a commercial solution too...

Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I tried to order some parts from Eagle. Their link was on the Tao Tao site. I ordered what I thought were the right ones according to their site, but they weren't the right ones. I tried to exchange them, but they were very difficult to deal with. In fact, when I called he said, "I wish you would've called. The site isn't always the best way to order parts. It's easier if you can just talk to me."
I think that's terrible business. I ordered a brake rotor, some front brakes, some swing arm bearings, etc. $70 worth of stuff. Now they won't return my emails or phone calls. I'm pretty upset.
To do a quick fix, I bought a 2" section of schedule 80 PVC pipe. It was a pretty close fit. I'm just waiting on the bushings from my brother in law. Also, I recommend shimming the swing arm by putting some big washers on each side between the frame and the swing arm. It helped out a lot.
This has been the only real problem with my quad other than the cheap chain. I recommend everyone buy a new chain. I got an RK for 17.99 at the local dealership. It's tons better than the stock. I think it's a 428 chain.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

I just gave him the old bushings and he made them to the same inside/outside diameter and length. I still have the parts of the old bushing. If you need I can measure them for you.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tao Tao Quads

I am a new owner of a Tao Tao 125cc quad. I have had nothing but problems from the day I purchased it. I've had a new head gasket, a new motor, battery and a rear carrier rack that simply fell off. The company itself in Canada is very unresponsive .... couldn't care less about Customer Satisfaction. The dealer, in South Eastern Ontario, is equally as poor in dealing with my concerns.

I've owned it since August 2013, and probably ridden it a dozen times. The rest of the time it has been in the garage with issues.

My recommendation, stay away from Tao Tao. They are junk from China.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry to hear that about your 125d. Bought one for my youngest 4 months ago and have had zero problems with it. It did so well I bought a 250d for the wife and I to ride. Same as the 125d with zero problems.

Search this Thread