3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

taotao.....good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 110's were good I ordered 6 total units from Tao Tao in Atlanta and only the 2 110 were good of the 2 125 one is running its falling apart but running.The other stripped the output shaft. The 150 ran for about 12 min and then blew a wheel bearing the guy who bought it fixed that and then the cdi blew with 15 min then the engine started leaking with 1/2 hr on it. The 250 after a few miles is now getting a harbor freight motor in it because I don't have anything else to do with it cause it also stripped the output shaft. I wouldn't buy anything other than the 110 there is 0 I mean 0 quality control on them. Sorry to be a downer I tried with these machines I wanted it to work but the Chinese manufacterers just don't seem to get it. I would spend double what they cost if they were reliable and you would still get a deal.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I mention to everyone a "used" brand name is a much better machine then a "new" off brand.

5 years ago I sold my 1989 4x4 Yamaha 350 Big Bear to a friend who rides with me to this day with very minimal problems.
It is 25 years old and still tougher then a new 3 year old china 4x4 with a higher resell value.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Trailblazer

The problem with that is, used name brand is way more money initially than a new chinese atv. I have 2 coolster atvs, the first was a 125 for the kids. I changed the carb and added a chain tensioner. The other is a 150 and I have not changed anything. With all that being said. Im saving up for a name brand. Probably going to get a yamaha grizzly or kodiak. Mainly because they look just like the coolsters.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am the owner of ScooterMadness.com and we sell TaoTao ATVs. Having been selling them for over a year now, I will say this: we DO have a higher percentage of initial issues after shipping the ATVs versus the Scooters. We fully support customers even on issues that are not covered by TaoTao's warranty; if it is shipped with an issue, and we'll send parts and offer support. But again, we do have to fulfill these claims more often than with the scooters.

That said, the prices are very good on these, and in general their reliability is good if you take care of them properly - which is basically the same for any TaoTao. Owning a gas-powered vehicle of any kind takes a certain amount of upkeep, and TaoTao is probably the most respectable Chinese-made brand and parts are readily available. You can see our TaoTao ATVs here.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really this applies to any Chinese ATV, but the first month or two is going to be bad, things will break and you'll fix them.

But after the initial baddies calm down you'll end up with a fairly 'reliable' machine.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if the chinese brands would just "up their game" a little, they'd be better off. as far as the "off brands" go, i prefer the Taiwan made Eton, Kymco, and Linhai brands. of course i own yamaha, polaris, and honda, but i also own Eton and Kymco. i had a Linhai but sold it. the chinese quads need a heavier wire gauge, a better/robust electronics system, and obviously a more durable frame. and a better adjustable carb. i know it'd cut into their profit margin, but they would end up with a better product. if you know the limitations to the machines and keep up maintenance, they ain't all that bad, just needs more TLC. they'll dang sure teach you how to work on quads though, i'll give'em that!

Old 07-20-2014, 06:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Swiftyyy
Really this applies to any Chinese ATV, but the first month or two is going to be bad, things will break and you'll fix them.

But after the initial baddies calm down you'll end up with a fairly 'reliable' machine.
True. i concur.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:18 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

The thing I like about Tao Tao quads is there is actually a Tao Tao factory in China. It was in the same town as the Shenmao Appliance Co..(The factory Jetmoto was using). Most Chinese ATV factories are only assembly plants.. The Tao Tao factory makes a lot of its parts in house.. This should allow them to control quality better.

Last edited by mywifesquad; 07-21-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by ryeguy1
I am looking to buy two tao tao 135 atv for my kids. Have been reading a lot of good and a lot of bad about the tao tao atvs on various forums.

Is it possible much of the bad is from older units and much of the good from newer units that were improved/better built?

Also, one online dealer told me that jetmotto no longer makes kid atvs so tao tao took over one of their factories... Dealer said he now only buys the models made from this paticular factory because he believes there is a higher level of quality.

So, is it possible to get a higher quality tao tao 135 or 125 that is reliable for a few years based on newer models or a better factory where they are built?

I know you get what you pay for with chinese quads, but I had a friend with a kazuma that lasted 4 years and he had to do some wrenching along the way, but felt it was worth it. Just don't want my kids to outgrow or become uninterested in a expensive model. I consider the chinese quad a good sample and if they like it/want to stic to it, upgrade them to a quality brand. BUT, I don't want to get something that won't start or is constantly being worked on.

Your thoughts?
Better getting a used good brand atv then a New Chinesse brand

Old 07-22-2014, 03:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Elpatchi
Better getting a used good brand atv then a New Chinesse brand
which quads do you have? which "brand" atv would you recommend seeing how some "off brand" manufacturers are subcontractors who build the "name brand"? now i'm talking the smaller kiddie quads now.
i have had some chinese quads that were good, others were bad.
now my Taiwanese quads are great-they are higher quality and have no issues with them.;